Cultural appropriation can be beautiful lol

Aug 2018
Vancouver
You're showing things that are obviously not cultural appropriation to show that cultural appropriation isn't a real thing.

How about this, is this normal? Is this healthy? Does this serve ANY purpose except to make the unaware more ignorant?

This was a real movie. About the capture of an Enigma machine. The British captured in it WW2 before the US joined the war. It was the turning point of WW2. Thousands of amateur British codebreakers worked to solve it. In giant warehouses, row by row. Saving their country from invasion by solving a riddle. The intelligence officer who planned the raid was Ian Flemming. Who would later invent James Bond. What an amazing story. Here's the movie synopsis.

"When a German U-571 submarine with a sophisticated encryption machine onboard is sunk during a World War II battle at sea, the Allies send an American Navy force led by Lieutenant Andrew Tyler (Matthew McConaughey) to retrieve it for study"

That's a real movie. It exists. It's available to see right now. It's cultural appropriation.

HOW could anyone deny it exists? It's right there.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
IDK but white people are weird about this. Megyn Kelly said that Jesus and Santa are white, that is 'just a historical fact'. LOL! Maybe St. Nick is, IDK, but not Jesus.
lol @ White Jesus.. is that as bad as turning Kurosawa's Yojimbo to A Fist Full of Dollars?

Jan 2016
Colorado
You can say that it's nothing to put an American behind the Satsuma rebellions front ranks in samurai armour, but if that's so, if it doesn't matter, if it's not important, then name the movie where an Asian leads the troops at Gettysburg. Name the movie where a Hispanic hero makes a noble last stand at the Alamo. Point out the heroic Namibian landing in Normandy in Saving Private Ryan. Show me the movie where Abe Lincoln thanks a Russian for leading the US armoured calvary in Desert Storm.

Americans would NEVER do this to their own culture. It would be ridiculous. No one would accept it.

Trust me. I've seen the Great Escape. I've seen Argo.

I actually saw Last Samurai in Kagoshima, the former Satsuma. Saigo's castle and garden is still there. He's like General Custer to Americans. Or Generals Wolfe and Montcalm to Canadians. His statue is all over my wifes hometown.

The saddest part for me was how many young people there liked the movie. While the over 30s wept in our sake.
Just don't ever show Hogan's Heroes to the Germans.

Because that could trigger World War III, or something.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
You can say that it's nothing to put an American behind the Satsuma rebellions front ranks in samurai armour, but if that's so, if it doesn't matter, if it's not important, then name the movie where an Asian leads the troops at Gettysburg. Name the movie where a Hispanic hero makes a noble last stand at the Alamo.

Point out the heroic Namibian landing in Normandy in Saving Private Ryan.

Show me the movie where Abe Lincoln thanks a Russian for leading the US armoured calvary in Desert Storm.
Americans would NEVER do this to their own culture. It would be ridiculous. No one would accept it.
Bolded bit sorta kinda happened. and lots of people (mostly whites?) are still freaking out over the BBC's black Achilles in their Troy mini series...

One would think the world is coming to an end after reading the internet rage comments about a fictional character being portrayed by a black actor.. cultural appropriation!!1! blackwashing!!1!

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Anybody seen this one?

A US Navy submarine and SEALs, all led by Gerard Butler

coming to the rescue of a Russian President

who is abducted by his own defense minister after a coup lol

Only in Hollywood...

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
You're showing things that are obviously not cultural appropriation to show that cultural appropriation isn't a real thing.

How about this, is this normal? Is this healthy? Does this serve ANY purpose except to make the unaware more ignorant?

This was a real movie. About the capture of an Enigma machine. The British captured in it WW2 before the US joined the war. It was the turning point of WW2. Thousands of amateur British codebreakers worked to solve it. In giant warehouses, row by row. Saving their country from invasion by solving a riddle. The intelligence officer who planned the raid was Ian Flemming. Who would later invent James Bond. What an amazing story. Here's the movie synopsis.

"When a German U-571 submarine with a sophisticated encryption machine onboard is sunk during a World War II battle at sea, the Allies send an American Navy force led by Lieutenant Andrew Tyler (Matthew McConaughey) to retrieve it for study"

That's a real movie. It exists. It's available to see right now. It's cultural appropriation.

yeah I hear, as a history buff it saddens me that movie makers can't stick to known facts. But I do realize that the producers are in this for the profit sooo ::shrugs::

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

At least they didn't make Vasiliy Zaytsev an American, in "Enemy at the Gates" lol

Aug 2018
Vancouver
yeah I hear, as a history buff it saddens me that movie makers can't stick to known facts. But I do realize that the producers are in this for the profit sooo ::shrugs::
I also accept that movie makers twist truth to make a buck. Or sometimes to make a better movie. And that that causes the real people involved to say " I don't like that". As is their right.

But I ACCEPT it. I acknowledge that it actually exists. It's a real thing.

I don't look them in the eye and say "no that's not real. You're making it up. You're lying about that" .

Aug 2018
Vancouver

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
At least they didn't make Vasiliy Zaytsev an American, in "Enemy at the Gates" lol
Ummm actually Hollywood did. sorta. The final battle in the ww2 movie Fury is loosely based on "The Monster of Raseiniai" when a single Soviet KV-2 tank stopped a German panzer division for day. The incident is mentioned in this at around the 5min mark..