Cultural appropriation can be beautiful lol

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
You can say that it's nothing to put an American behind the Satsuma rebellions front ranks in samurai armour, but if that's so, if it doesn't matter, if it's not important, then name the movie where an Asian leads the troops at Gettysburg. Name the movie where a Hispanic hero makes a noble last stand at the Alamo. Point out the heroic Namibian landing in Normandy in Saving Private Ryan. Show me the movie where Abe Lincoln thanks a Russian for leading the US armoured calvary in Desert Storm.

Americans would NEVER do this to their own culture. It would be ridiculous. No one would accept it.

Trust me. I've seen the Great Escape. I've seen Argo.

I actually saw Last Samurai in Kagoshima, the former Satsuma. Saigo's castle and garden is still there. He's like General Custer to Americans. Or Generals Wolfe and Montcalm to Canadians. His statue is all over my wifes hometown.

The saddest part for me was how many young people there liked the movie. While the over 30s wept in our sake.
The Japanese are no better at history movies.

Look how they depict the Battle of Khalkin Gol (in Mongolia, 1939, against Soviet Union)
The reality is that Soviet tanks went in there and steamrolled the Japanese. There is a popular song about it in Russia, considered an anthem of tank forces to this day, last bit goes like: "The steel beasts of the Motherland rolled forward like a hurricane; and the Samurai fell to the ground one by one, mowed down by the might of steel and fire."

My one grandpa was there. He sure as hell did not recall any Japanese trying to charge his tank with a damn sword, man... Recalled driving over plenty of em though...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Ummm actually Hollywood did. sorta. The final battle in the ww2 movie Fury is loosely based on "The Monster of Raseiniai" when a single Soviet KV-2 tank stopped a German panzer division for day. The incident is mentioned in this at around the 5min mark..

Russia made own movie about that one, last year

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Russia made own movie about that one, last year
Cool. I do want to see that movie.. I'm sure I'll enjoy it :cool:

But as a history buff I will now nitpick that trailer. First, that movie tank is a KV-1 with a five man crew. Historical evidence indicates the Germans buried 6 Soviet crew members, which means the "monster" was more likely a KV-2 which is crewed by 6 tankers. Second, the trailer shows German Pz mk-IV with a long barreled 75mm gun, which didn't really participate in 1941's Operation Barbarossa. No doubt more things will make my eyes roll once I see that movie, but I'll still enjoy it just as I did with "Fury".

Last edited:

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Anybody seen this one?

A US Navy submarine and SEALs, all led by Gerard Butler

coming to the rescue of a Russian President

who is abducted by his own defense minister after a coup lol

Only in Hollywood...

Not yet. Once its on cable or streaming I will... I like stoopid fun movies :D

Speaking of reverse cultural appropriation.. Norsemen is funny. Which makes me think that in a thousand years people will be watching dark comedy movies about ISIS raping, burning, pillaging, mass murdering civilians, and beheading prisoners.

va i helvette!?!

Dec 2015
SoCal
Unique, certainly lol

Olga Podluzhnaya aka Olena Uutai is a musician from Russia's Sakha-Yakutia Republic, in Northern Siberia, an expert in many musical instruments of the indigenous Sakha people there

including their signature mouth harp, the homus (see second vid above)

and in the traditional throat singing as well.

Last year, she even appeared on "Britain Got Talent" show in the UK

Beautiful woman who also models the various indigenous Sakha costumes in many great pics and calendars and such

What is interesting, is that she is NOT Sakha herself, she is a purebred white Slav girl, ethnic Ukrainian, to be exact

:D

FWIW, her husband is half-indigenous, at least, and it is his family's traditional native surname, Uutai, that she uses in her stage pseudonym

It's Russia though, it's not like in the West over there, they don't even really have terms like "cultural appropriation" (well, some liberals in Moscow may at times try to talk about such stuff, but they usually just get told to fuck off to America/Europe if like their values so much, and that's usually the end of such a conversation haha); looking at the comments under her videos, lots of native Sakha people posting there, all praising her for putting their traditional culture on the map out there... :)

The fact that she is bloody hot doesn't hurt either, I'm sure haha

;)

Here singing (in Russian) about the beauty of their home Republic with Saina, an actually ethnic Sakha singer

Cultural appropriation? Or simply appreciation of her local roots? You tell me...

I like it, either way :D
Hard to say who appropriated whom, and I don't really care.

I will say this: While I appreciate our differences, I also appreciate the fact we are all essentially the same.

Talking about cultural appropriation, I just got my DNA test back. I am over 30% Russian, and that fact astounds me, Brother.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Native American.
Ahso, thanks :)

Gonna put my nitpicky hat on just as an FYI; the proper term is American Indian, (see The Chicago Manual of Style on the use of American English ..CMS is the standard used in the USA for the historical field). Canadians use First Nation for their amerindians. “Native American” simply denotes anybody born in America.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Ahso, thanks :)

Gonna put my nitpicky hat on just as an FYI; the proper term is American Indian, (see The Chicago Manual of Style on the use of American English ..CMS is the standard used in the USA for the historical field). Canadians use First Nation for their amerindians. “Native American” simply denotes anybody born in America.
That isn't what the census uses. NA is the term for the US. American Indian is outdated. I asked a Canadian friend what they called them. Her answer was 'Anything they want'. LOL