Cultural appropriation can be beautiful lol

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
That isn't what the census uses. NA is the term for the US. American Indian is outdated. I asked a Canadian friend what they called them. Her answer was 'Anything they want'. LOL
Yup, and that’s how Canada ended up using First Nation peoples ...it’s what their injuns wanted to use.

Anyhoo, here’s review of Dances with Buffaloes that you will enjoy. Hodges is one of my favorite youtubers because he adds a lot of historical info to his movie reviews..

Dec 2015
SoCal
Ahso, thanks :)

Gonna put my nitpicky hat on just as an FYI; the proper term is American Indian, (see The Chicago Manual of Style on the use of American English ..CMS is the standard used in the USA for the historical field). Canadians use First Nation for their amerindians. “Native American” simply denotes anybody born in America.
I am under 30% English according to that test, and so more Russian than English though, to be sure, more British than Russian on account of the Scottish and Welsh thrown in though no sign of Irish, sadly.

I'm just trying to process the news though I did always know my biological father's name is Cernovich, so I had an inkling.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I don't object to anyone wearing those costumes, but that movie itself is among the worst cultural assimilation offenders going.

An American shows up and immediately reaches the rank of the elite of the elite. Fitting right in with locals raised from birth in their class as warriors, is showered with honours that no Japanese not of samurai birth would ever even dream of imagining, without learning a single word of their language but somehow being recognized as a leader regardless, single handedly leads samurai (wtfuck) and plays an integral role in the Satsuma rebellion, then meets the emperor and received the emperors respect and thanks. The emperor that any Japanese would be killed for making eye contact with.

I cant even say what would happen if the Japanese made a movie about a Japanese guy who goes to 1775 USA and teaches George Washington about freedom, bests all the Bostonians at their jobs, bangs a white woman, takes control of a militia unit, speaking no English, and then plays the key role in the American revolution while Paul revere and Ben Franklin stand around and say "this was only possible because of Kentaro" - because they would never have made that movie.
Yes, all true. BUT "historical" movies such as The Last Samuria provides a gateway for people otherwise not interested in history, and maybe/hopefully they'll look further into the subject. For instance several of my female friends who normally roll their eyes at me when I pick movies to watch really got into watching "Pearl Harbor" and "The Messenger: the Story of Joan of Arc".

@Sassy, since you liked TLSamuria, heres Nick Hodges review of it. You will enjoy it because it gives historical background to a movie you liked :)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Or turning The Seven Samurai into The Magnificent Seven? Or even Rashomon into a ST:TNG episode? :D
The 1960 version with Yul Brunner was great, a classic IMHO

The modern one, truthfully, I did not like that much. Though, it also wasn't bad.

Yup, and that’s how Canada ended up using First Nation peoples ...it’s what their injuns wanted to use.

Anyhoo, here’s review of Dances with Buffaloes that you will enjoy. Hodges is one of my favorite youtubers because he adds a lot of historical info to his movie reviews..

This organization emerged in early 80s here, to represent the Aboriginal peoples: Assembly of First Nations - Wikipedia

:)

I am under 30% English according to that test, and so more Russian than English though, to be sure, more British than Russian on account of the Scottish and Welsh thrown in though no sign of Irish, sadly.

I'm just trying to process the news though I did always know my biological father's name is Cernovich, so I had an inkling.
lol It's great to be a mutt... Look at my sons. Part-Russian Slav/Cossack, part-Armenian, part-Brazilian. :D

I dare say they got the best from both their parents...

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
The 1960 version with Yul Brunner was great, a classic IMHO
The modern one, truthfully, I did not like that much. Though, it also wasn't bad.
Oh, totally. That's the one I was talking about, which I have a copy of on DVD. I never even saw the other one.
I find both of the remakes forgettable... probably because its the original Seven Samurai thats been ingrained in my mind even tho its mono low res b/w. Kurosawa's battle in the rain is wow..

Last edited:

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
lol It's great to be a mutt... Look at my sons. Part-Russian Slav/Cossack, part-Armenian, part-Brazilian. :D
I dare say they got the best from both their parents...
Ya know.. one of these days you'll have the breakdown your wife's Brazilian bloodline to get a full accounting of your kid's DNA. I'm thinking she's gonna have aboriginal + africa + euro dna?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Ya know.. one of these days you'll have the breakdown your wife's Brazilian bloodline to get a full accounting of your kid's DNA. I'm thinking she's gonna have aboriginal + africa + euro dna?
She has said she has both European and Aboriginal ancestors. Not sure about African lol