Cultural appropriation

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Nov 2014
Florida
I personally am outraged when I see someone dress like a leprechaun and over-imbibe on St. Patrick's day. The nerve of people casually appropriating my Irish culture. Don't they know how hurtful and offensive that is?

Nov 2014
Florida
On the basis of my Swedish heritage I'm also very offended when people who are not Swedish dress like vikings. I can't tell you how many times I've stormed out of the opera house in a snit. And what's worse is there's even a football team appropriating Scandinavian culture by using the name "vikings", and going so far as to use an insulting little viking caricature as a logo. What could be more offensive than that?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I'm offended that people are offended by cultural appropriation. My late (Jewish) cousin's favorite, lifelong pasttime was playing Viking, right down to making his own axes. So what? It's what happens when cultures meet each other.

Feb 2017
Mid-Florida
My bolo necktie strangles me everytime some child dresses up for Halloween, or city slicker goes to a costume ball dressed up as a cowboy cowgirl. They have some nerve!
Also how insensitive people are when they ask "are you going to a Party" when I just dressing in my best attire.
Laughter is good for the Soul.

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I just learned that white people wearing hoop earrings is cultural appropriation. I had NO idea until someone posted an outrageous story about it on their facebook wall.

So I googled a little.

Pitzer College president condemns hate speech after white girls shamed for wearing hoop earrings

The Dos and Don’ts of Cultural Appropriation

20 Things You Didn't Know Were Cultural Appropriation

^^ That says paisley is cultural appropriation. I guess I have to google some more.
Whatchyou talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Crazed Progs are, well, crazed Progs. Heck, they assaulted a left-leaning professor at Middlebury College, sending her to hospital twice. All because they were trampling freedom of speech when Charles Murray was asked to talk there.