Cultural Appropriation

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
There is no such thing, people just have to make up issues these days.

Wrangler's Lil Nas X 'Old Town Road' collection slammed as cowboy 'cultural appropriation'

Forget the horses. Wrangler has some critics on its back.

The jeans apparel company has come under fire for its new partnership with Lil Nas X, the rapper behind the viral country-rap hit "Old Town Road" featuring Billy Ray Cyrus.

With lyrics filled with cowboy imagery ("Cowboy hat from Gucci/ Wrangler on my booty/ Can't nobody tell me nothin'"), a collaboration with Wrangler appeared to be a no-brainer.

"Psst...it’s an instant hit. Introducing the new Wrangler Lil Nas X Collection," the clothing company wrote on Instagram Tuesday, adding in another post, "The song and style that’s got the world’s attention."

But the collection, which features the song's title and catchy lyrics on Wrangler jeans and tees, appears to be attracting the wrong kind of attention. In fact, many fans have threatened to boycott the company in what they deem to be "cultural appropriation."

Reactions: The Man

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Cultural appropriation is clearly a thing, I just don't think there's (usually) anything wrong with it. Perhaps sometimes it is used to mock or caricature other cultures and then I guess it's kind of jerky, but if there wasn't cultural appropriation then there would be no such thing as jazz music, or country music, or rock, or hip hop or probably any other music or art form. Everyone steals their ideas from their predecessors.

The idea of making a pop song out of a commercial for jeans, well that's something entirely different than cultural appropriation. That's turning artists into cheap hucksters. Remember this one?

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
So who is being accused of "cultural appropriation?" Lil Nas for wearing Wranglers? Or Wrangler for showing Lil Nas wearing Wranglers? Is the Left saying Wrangler is Whites only?

The Left has gone insane

Reactions: bmanmcfly
Sep 2017
Massachusetts
There is no such thing, people just have to make up issues these days.

Wrangler's Lil Nas X 'Old Town Road' collection slammed as cowboy 'cultural appropriation'

Forget the horses. Wrangler has some critics on its back.

The jeans apparel company has come under fire for its new partnership with Lil Nas X, the rapper behind the viral country-rap hit "Old Town Road" featuring Billy Ray Cyrus.

With lyrics filled with cowboy imagery ("Cowboy hat from Gucci/ Wrangler on my booty/ Can't nobody tell me nothin'"), a collaboration with Wrangler appeared to be a no-brainer.

"Psst...it’s an instant hit. Introducing the new Wrangler Lil Nas X Collection," the clothing company wrote on Instagram Tuesday, adding in another post, "The song and style that’s got the world’s attention."

But the collection, which features the song's title and catchy lyrics on Wrangler jeans and tees, appears to be attracting the wrong kind of attention. In fact, many fans have threatened to boycott the company in what they deem to be "cultural appropriation."
I always found GW Bush to be the most shameless of cultural appropriators, when it came to cowboy culture. He was an old-money New England prep school aristocrat, and yet called his country estate a "ranch" (despite having no livestock), and affected Texas twang while wearing ridiculous cowboy costumes. Yet, bizarrely, many on the right took his cosplay seriously.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I always found GW Bush to be the most shameless of cultural appropriators, when it came to cowboy culture. He was an old-money New England prep school aristocrat, and yet called his country estate a "ranch" (despite having no livestock), and affected Texas twang while wearing ridiculous cowboy costumes. Yet, bizarrely, many on the right took his cosplay seriously.
That's traditional. Reagan played cowboy too.

Jul 2014
midwest
Ever hear Hillary's "black accent"?

It was worse.

"I don't feel no ways tired..."

Then there's Biden saying "put y'all back in chains"

Yeah, lots of em do that stuff...