Curt Schilling: I lost Hall of Fame votes because I'm Republican

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling said his exclusion from the Hall of Fame may have something to do with politics.

"I know that as a Republican that there's some people who really don't like that," Schilling told Boston radio station WEEI. "I don't think it... kept me out, but I do know that there are guys who will probably never vote for me because of the things I said or did. That's the way it works."

The outspoken baseball star has for years played an active role in politics. He campaigned for George W. Bush in 2004, endorsing the Republican president's re-election campaign on "Good Morning America" just hours after helping his team win the world series.

Asked on WEEI whether he'd might be in the Hall of Fame had he endorsed Kerry, Schilling said, "absolutely."

Curt Schilling: I lost Hall of Fame votes because I'm Republican - CBS News

Gawds. What a baby.

Oh and Smoltz, being the wonderful democrat he is, donated the maximum amount to Rmoney's presidential campaign.

Reactions: 6 people

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Schill has had a rough time the last few years. He's about as good of an entrepreneur as Obama's energy czar has been good at picking green energy winners. He played a key role in helping two teams win world championships, but he is about as smart about media manipulation as Tim Tebow was. His reputation as an ego maniac is hurting him more than his politics.

Reactions: 1 person

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
If there is any truth in him losing out on votes for non-baseball related issues it's because the guy is a blow-hard. His mouth has no off switch just a look-at-me db.

More likely though is he doesn't have the wins to make a case for the hall, he was a great pitcher who unfortunately spent his career going up against roidhead cheaters. He'll get in eventually when voters adjust expectations for the position based on the era he played.

Jul 2014
midwest
If there is any truth in him losing out on votes for non-baseball related issues it's because the guy is a blow-hard. His mouth has no off switch just a look-at-me db.

More likely though is he doesn't have the wins to make a case for the hall, he was a great pitcher who unfortunately spent his career going up against roidhead cheaters. He'll get in eventually when voters adjust expectations for the position based on the era he played.
But Smoltz got in and he is reportedly a Republican.

It is more about being likable, than a person's political affiliation.

That's just human nature, they are more likely to vote for someone they like than someone they do not.

Reactions: 2 people

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
Nah.

He isn't in the Hall of Fame, because he didn't dope up, enough...DUUUH!

Seriously...I find it hard to believe that Democrats have a massive monopoly in numbers in Baseball Hall of Fame voters.

I find it even harder to believe that Baseball Hall of Fame voters would base their votes on political affiliation.

Public Service Announcement for Professional Athletes:

"Don't bitch! Do performance-enhancing drugs!"

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Don't really follow baseball. The name isn't familiar.

But whether it is true or not, it's a pretty stupid thing to say out loud. No upside....lotsa downside/ridicule.

Reactions: 2 people

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Is there a "Don't be a Tool" requirement for admission into this club?
He was a heroic post season performer.

In the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks v Yankees series, he pitched in games 1, 4 and 7. In games 4 and 7 he pitched on 3 days rest.
He won 1 game and had no decisions in games 4 and 7.

In the 2004 Boson Red Sox v Yankees series, he pitched the Sox past the Yankees in a critical game 6 contest while enduring a ruptured ankle tendon that was bleeding during the game.

He was heroic player with a big ego. If he had been less self promotional. he would have gotten a lot more votes.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/schilcu01-pitch.shtml

His total postseason record was 11 and 2, with an ERA of 2.23

Last edited:
Jul 2014
Philadelphia
This is classic Shilling. As a Phillies fan I remember his great performances on the mound, but my strongest memories are of his stupid comments to the press. He was a bad teammate in Philly and in Boston. He threw other players and the organization under the bus frequently. He also critized the fans and the sports press everywhere he went. Bottomline: born with golden arm, a rock for a brain and a big mouth that ran constantly. His political affiliation is meaningless. He is a total jerk. The price that baseball extracts for people like him is delayed entry into the Hall. Just the way it is.

Reactions: 6 people
Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
This is classic Shilling. As a Phillies fan I remember his great performances on the mound, but my strongest memories are of his stupid comments to the press. He was a bad teammate in Philly and in Boston. He threw other players and the organization under the bus frequently. He also critized the fans and the sports press everywhere he went. Bottomline: born with golden arm, a rock for a brain and a big mouth that ran constantly. His political affiliation is meaningless. He is a total jerk. The price that baseball extracts for people like him is delayed entry into the Hall. Just the way it is.
I just noticed your location. Howdy, neighbor!