CyberSlav lmao

Dec 2006
Mmm, muffins
I dunno, I thought it looked pretty cool. It also didn't strike me as a kids show, at all. More of an adult anime. I kinda want to see more of it. :D

Dec 2006
Mmm, muffins
Also, I've seen the shit American kids are watching these days when the teachers aren't looking, and that was really tame in comparison.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I dunno, I thought it looked pretty cool. It also didn't strike me as a kids show, at all. More of an adult anime. I kinda want to see more of it. :D
It is pretty cool, sure. And very different from previous famous cartoons from there, like "Nu Pogodi", a Soviet version of "Tom & Jerry", only with wolf (nasty guy who smokes cigarettes and litters lol) and rabbit instead of cat and mouse

Or the equally famous modern one about a little girl named Masha and her bear friends

To most people over there, cartoons and animated shows are still mostly associated with children; aside from, maybe the Simpsons, which run there too

In recent times though, yes, Japanese anime is getting more popular among some there, Moscow even does own Anime Festivals now

So, I suppose some homegrown Russian cartoonists have decided to get in on the action lol

Dec 2006
Mmm, muffins
In recent times though, yes, Japanese anime is getting more popular among some there, Moscow even does own Anime Festivals now

So, I suppose some homegrown Russian cartoonists have decided to get in on the action lol
That's exactly what I was thinking, it looks hella inspired by Japanese anime, and I bet you the majority of the audience will be adults. Adults watching cartoons... all my childhood dreams have come true.... thank you Generation X... LOL

Helena

Former Staff
Sep 2007
Maybe my user title will provide a clue.
It is pretty cool, sure. And very different from previous famous cartoons from there, like "Nu Pogodi", a Soviet version of "Tom & Jerry", only with wolf (nasty guy who smokes cigarettes and litters lol) and rabbit instead of cat and mouse.
"Nu Pogodi" is the only Russian cartoon I'm familiar with, but it was and to some degree still is HUGE in former Czechoslovakia. I would say it reached cult status for some Czechs. I loved it too. Much, MUCH better than "Tom and Jerry."

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
CyberSlav
Is it just me or is there something not quite right about a group of people still calling themselves 'slaves'. Couldn't the slavic peoples come up with better label? :think:

Last edited:

Helena

Former Staff
Sep 2007
Maybe my user title will provide a clue.
Is it just me or is there something not quite right about a group of people still calling themselves 'slaves'. Couldn't the slavic peoples come up with better label? :think:
The name (which I don't think is spelled literally "Slav" in any Slavic language) comes most likely from the word "slovo," meaning "word." Because "people of the word" understood each other. Another opinion is that it has its roots in "slava," meaning "glory."

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
The name (which I don't think is spelled literally "Slav" in any Slavic language) comes most likely from the word "slovo," meaning "word." Because "people of the word" understood each other. Another opinion is that it has its roots in "slava," meaning "glory."
Oh. So its the other way around.. "Slav" became the word for 'slaves'. Fascinating.

Slavs (ethnonym) - Wikipedia
The English term slave derives from the ethnonym Slav. In medieval wars many Slavs were captured and enslaved, which led to the word slav becoming synonym to "enslaved person". Plus, the English word Slav derives from the Middle English word sclave, which was borrowed from Medieval Latin sclavus or slavus, itself a borrowing and Byzantine Greek σκλάβος sklábos "slave," which was in turn apparently derived from a misunderstanding of the Slavic autonym (denoting a speaker of their own languages).