Cynthia Nixon On Being Gay: ‘For Me It’s A Choice’

Nov 2008
Washington state
Gay fans might have applauded Cynthia Nixon’s decision to come out in 2004, but her remarks in a controversial new interview might now leave them feeling a little incensed.
Asked about skeptics who question the legitimacy of her relationship with longtime partner Christine Marinoni, the “Sex and the City” star, who is currently promoting her new Broadway show “Wit,” told The New York Times:
“I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line ‘I’ve been straight and I’ve been gay, and gay is better.’ And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me. A certain section of our community is very concerned that it not be seen as a choice, because if it’s a choice, then we could opt out. I say it doesn’t matter if we flew here or we swam here, it matters that we are here and we are one group and let us stop trying to make a litmus test for who is considered gay and who is not.”​
Nixon then went on to note:
“Why can’t it be a choice? Why is that any less legitimate? It seems we’re just ceding this point to bigots who are demanding it, and I don’t think that they should define the terms of the debate. I also feel like people think I was walking around in a cloud and didn’t realize I was gay, which I find really offensive. I find it offensive to me, but I also find it offensive to all the men I’ve been out with.”Cynthia Nixon On Being Gay: 'For Me It's A Choice' | HuffPost

Finally a Gay person is honest. "Its a choice". Its a lifestyle they choose to live. There is no such thing as Buttigieg has stated, "God made me this way." Cynthia Nixon took responsibility for her choice and stated it.​

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice
It's funny how cherry picking works.

Sure people could make that choice, but for many people, it isn't a choice.

Imagine it like this:

Could you have homosexual sex?
No?

Well now you know how a gay person feels about being heterosexual.

Pretty simple to comprehend.

Nov 2008
Washington state
It's funny how cherry picking works.

Sure people could make that choice, but for many people, it isn't a choice.

Imagine it like this:

Could you have homosexual sex?
No?

Well now you know how a gay person feels about being heterosexual.

Pretty simple to comprehend.
Cynthia Nixon admitted she made a choice to be Gay. No one has admitted that before, in fact its been strongly denied anyone could make that choice. Pete Buttigieg claims "God Made Him That Way" and wished they made a pill he could take to be straight. For once a Gay person admitted the truth.

Nov 2013
NY
Gay fans might have applauded Cynthia Nixon’s decision to come out in 2004, but her remarks in a controversial new interview might now leave them feeling a little incensed.
Asked about skeptics who question the legitimacy of her relationship with longtime partner Christine Marinoni, the “Sex and the City” star, who is currently promoting her new Broadway show “Wit,” told The New York Times:
“I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line ‘I’ve been straight and I’ve been gay, and gay is better.’ And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me. A certain section of our community is very concerned that it not be seen as a choice, because if it’s a choice, then we could opt out. I say it doesn’t matter if we flew here or we swam here, it matters that we are here and we are one group and let us stop trying to make a litmus test for who is considered gay and who is not.”​
“Why can’t it be a choice? Why is that any less legitimate? It seems we’re just ceding this point to bigots who are demanding it, and I don’t think that they should define the terms of the debate. I also feel like people think I was walking around in a cloud and didn’t realize I was gay, which I find really offensive. I find it offensive to me, but I also find it offensive to all the men I’ve been out with.”Cynthia Nixon On Being Gay: 'For Me It's A Choice' | HuffPost

Finally a Gay person is honest. "Its a choice". Its a lifestyle they choose to live. There is no such thing as Buttigieg has stated, "God made me this way." Cynthia Nixon took responsibility for her choice and stated it.​
So you're saying you have to actively "choose" not to be gay.
Thanks for coming out.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
They know it's a sin against God and for a long time they thought it was a better argument to say "born this way."

So now that gay is cool and hip, you will see more of these people say, "my body my choice."

Nov 2016
USA
They know it's a sin against God and for a long time they thought it was a better argument to say "born this way."

So now that gay is cool and hip, you will see more of these people say, "my body my choice."
Since when is sexual attraction (same sex) a sin, if one doesn’t act on that attraction? Every biblical passage I’ve seen used to try to justify homophobia refers to engaging in a sex act, not merely being attracted.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Since when is sexual attraction (same sex) a sin, if one doesn’t act on that attraction? Every biblical passage I’ve seen used to try to justify homophobia refers to engaging in a sex act, not merely being attracted.
Homosexual attraction is a sinful attraction. The Bible calls it "unnatural" attraction.

Attraction to adultery is also a sinful attraction. If one is a Christian, one needs to hate sinful attraction.

Romans 1

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised.Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Last edited:
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.

Why yes, I see. Of course, what is TRUE for one member of a group MUST be true for ALL members of that griup.

Jesus, but you are clueless!

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Cynthia Nixon admitted she made a choice to be Gay. No one has admitted that before, in fact its been strongly denied anyone could make that choice. Pete Buttigieg claims "God Made Him That Way" and wished they made a pill he could take to be straight. For once a Gay person admitted the truth.
NO ONE, ever?:lol::lol::lol::lol::cool:

Reactions: caffeine