Cynthia Nixon On Being Gay: ‘For Me It’s A Choice’

Nov 2016
USA
Some folks are heterosexual. Some are homosexual. Some are bisexual.

Nobody has a choice regarding what their heart desires, but I suppose those who are bisexual do have a choice when it comes to selecting a sexual partner.

No skin off of my nose. Why should I hate anyone because of whom they find sexually attractive?
Indeed. How many heterosexuals “ choose” to be heterosexual? I certainly didn’t.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Cynthia forgot to act this time and admitted she made a choice to be gay. That's a "NO NO " in Hollyweird circles
I think the point is that it's no one owes you an explanation about their sexuality.

Why can't you just allow other people to live their lives as they see fit if they're not bothering you?

Jun 2014
United States
Why did Buttigieg tell us "Your argument is with the Creator" about his sexuality, as if he had no choice in the matter? If I said I was attracted sexually to young children and told the court "God made me this way", wouldn't the Judge have to let me off based on my natural attractions I have no control over?

I sincerely doubt that you'd be facing a judge merely for finding children sexually attractive. You'd have to have chosen to act on those impulses in order to have been charged with a crime, and in that case I sincerely doubt that "I have a natural attraction to underage children" would pass muster as a defense.

Of course, having sex with underage children is a crime, whereas having sex with a consenting adult is not.

Jun 2014
United States
Indeed. How many heterosexuals “ choose” to be heterosexual? I certainly didn’t.

Me neither. I seriously doubt that I could choose to be bisexual, for that matter. I could choose to engage in homosexual acts in spite of being heterosexual I suppose, but why would I want to do that?

Nov 2016
USA
Me neither. I seriously doubt that I could choose to be bisexual, for that matter. I could choose to engage in homosexual acts in spite of being heterosexual I suppose, but why would I want to do that?
I wouldn’t know. I just always figured that people just were str8 or gay or bi, but didn’t make a conscious decision to be that way. When you consider how stigmatized gays have been and still are (and, from what we’ve seen in this forum, there’s a strong desire to keep that stigma alive and well :mad:, all in the name of God :mad:), it defies logic to choose a “lifestyle” that will give one no end of hateful grief from the ugly elements of society.

Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Jun 2014
United States
I wouldn’t know. I just always figured that people just were str8 or gay or bi, but didn’t make a conscious decision to be that way. When you consider how stigmatized gays have been and still are (and, from what we’ve seen in this forum, there’s a strong desire to keep that stigma alive and well :mad:, all in the name of God :mad:), it defies logic to choose a “lifestyle” that will give one no end of hateful grief from the ugly elements of society.

Indeed. I can't understand why anyone would cling to a concept that makes no sense whatsoever.

Reactions: birdzeyez