Dairy farming in Wisconsin

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Trump's policies will accelerate the closing of dairy farms in Wisconsin.

Big Dairy and automation are already taking their toll. With the lower unauthorized immigration of recent years, it was already harder for small farmers to find workers. These are not jobs which American-born workers are knocking on doors to get so some dairies are already running short-handed. And now with the fear of being detained because you were seen taking your child to school or shopping, that is having a chilling effect of the prospects of future employment on Wisconsin dairy farms. Self-deportation is happening, to which some will say "good", but think of the economic effect of major agricultural industries imploding.

Texas A&M has estimated that losing immigrant labor would double milk prices. Jobs will be lost.

Some farmers say their next step will be selling their cows if they lose their immigrant employees. Some farmers are contemplating selling their cows now while there's still a market for them.

No links. This is a compilation of information from various reports, with the main one being on NPR this morning and I don't yet see a link to the report. If you can't stand a thread without links and/or don't trust my assessment of what I heard, then please post your own links, or just move on to the next thread. Thank you kindly.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Texas A&M has estimated that losing immigrant labor would double milk prices.
On the other hand, this could be because immigrant labor is often paid substandard wages, and the employers cannot get away with that with respect to American citizens.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
There are million of trained American Dairy Farm workers just waiting to move to Wisconsin and take those minimum wage jobs, suck it Mexico!

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
On the other hand, this could be because immigrant labor is often paid substandard wages, and the employers cannot get away with that with respect to American citizens.
The story I listened to this morning pointed out that some people move on because they can get a higher wage up the street.

Average dairy farm wage was more than 50% higher than minimum wage as of the time of this 2015 report:

Losing Immigrant Workers on Dairy Farms Would Nearly Double Retail Milk Prices | Agweb.com

We have a lowish cost of living in Wisconsin -- two parents making that wage can provide well for their children. Might not be able to sock away much in the college fund, but they can be well-fed and clothed.

Edit: I just checked on pay averages for my state. Apples to apples. Maybe not 50% over minimum wage on average, but still more than minimum wage in every category, and two parents with such an income can raise a comfortable family here.

"In 2010, the National Agricultural
Statistics Service calculated an average wage for all Wisconsin farm workers including dairy workers at
$11.24. This compares to an average starting wage of $10.40 per hour in our study."

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/farmteam/wo...ocuments/WagesandBenefitsforFarmEmployees.pdf

Last edited:

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
If enterprises that offer jobs 'real people won't do' can't attract US citizen labor with their wages, it's because US immigration policies have made it where they don't have to.

Many of the same people who demand "living wages" defend open borders, illegal immigration, Sanctuary Cities, amnesty, Dream Acts, and the legal importation of cheap labor....it's bizarre. It's as if they don't understand the first thing about Supply and Demand....or that it ALSO applies to LABOR. Whose fault is it if our own government is allowing businesses the luxury of paying wages that won't attract American citizens?

The usual suspects are going to have to make a choice....they're going to have to decide what's more important to them....the wage floor organically meandering into the "living" category, or artificially cheap produce, dairy and meat.

Last edited: