"Dandruff incident" shows Trump wants to be alpha male

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Apparently some in France arent pleased that Macron is acting obedient to Trump, they were particularly upset with the photo of Trump leading Macron around like a child..

Standing in the Oval Office on Tuesday, and with the cameras rolling, President Trump announced to the world that the president of France, Emmanuel Macron, has a flaky scalp. “We do have a very special relationship,” Trump said, with the French president at his side. “In fact, I’ll get that little piece of dandruff off. You have a little piece.”

When they first met, Macron gripped Trump’s hand so hard, and for so long, that knuckles whitened. Trump is the alpha — and Macron has settled into obedience.

Like Macron, Tony Blair sought close ties to a president with whom he had many disagreements. For his troubles, the British prime minister became known as Bush’s poodle. Macron is now gambling that his relationship with Trump will elevate his stature on the world stage. Will he become Trump’s bichon frise? At their joint news conference Tuesday afternoon, Macron gazed intently at Trump while the U.S. president spoke, and waited patiently as Trump routinely had the final word — even on questions directed at Macron.

Macron endured a photo op with Trump along the colonnade outside the Oval Office, after which Trump seized Macron’s hand and pulled him away, as if leading him by a leash. The behavior raises an obvious question: What’s Macron’s game? Typically, people flatter Trump’s ego so he will agree with them on substantive matters. But that didn’t seem to work for Macron. He wanted Trump not to trash the Iran nuclear deal, but he sat silently in the office as Trump denounced the “insane” and “ridiculous” pact.

But at least so far, Macron has little to show for his newfound submissiveness. Maybe the alpha dog will throw him a bone. But if Trump rips up the Iran deal and fails to exempt France from trade barriers, people will look back on Macron’s behavior during l’affaire dandruff and scratch their heads.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/laffaire-dandruff-shows-trump-has-become-the-alpha/2018/04/24/04305e40-4800-11e8-9072-f6d4bc32f223_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4b2852d1c9a6

Reactions: 4 people
Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Apparently some in France arent pleased that Macron is acting obedient to Trump, they were particularly upset with the photo of Trump leading Macron around like a child..

Standing in the Oval Office on Tuesday, and with the cameras rolling, President Trump announced to the world that the president of France, Emmanuel Macron, has a flaky scalp. “We do have a very special relationship,” Trump said, with the French president at his side. “In fact, I’ll get that little piece of dandruff off. You have a little piece.”

When they first met, Macron gripped Trump’s hand so hard, and for so long, that knuckles whitened. Trump is the alpha — and Macron has settled into obedience.

Like Macron, Tony Blair sought close ties to a president with whom he had many disagreements. For his troubles, the British prime minister became known as Bush’s poodle. Macron is now gambling that his relationship with Trump will elevate his stature on the world stage. Will he become Trump’s bichon frise? At their joint news conference Tuesday afternoon, Macron gazed intently at Trump while the U.S. president spoke, and waited patiently as Trump routinely had the final word — even on questions directed at Macron.

Macron endured a photo op with Trump along the colonnade outside the Oval Office, after which Trump seized Macron’s hand and pulled him away, as if leading him by a leash. The behavior raises an obvious question: What’s Macron’s game? Typically, people flatter Trump’s ego so he will agree with them on substantive matters. But that didn’t seem to work for Macron. He wanted Trump not to trash the Iran nuclear deal, but he sat silently in the office as Trump denounced the “insane” and “ridiculous” pact.

But at least so far, Macron has little to show for his newfound submissiveness. Maybe the alpha dog will throw him a bone. But if Trump rips up the Iran deal and fails to exempt France from trade barriers, people will look back on Macron’s behavior during l’affaire dandruff and scratch their heads.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/laffaire-dandruff-shows-trump-has-become-the-alpha/2018/04/24/04305e40-4800-11e8-9072-f6d4bc32f223_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4b2852d1c9a6
Macron is wagering that Trump can be manipulated -- that all he cares about are things that let him preen on TV, and that if you hand him those symbolic things, he'll respond by giving up stuff that actually matters. Certainly corporate chiefs in the US have been playing Trump that way ever since he was elected. So, it's not a patently unreasonable strategy. Trump is controlled by his fragile ego and, in theory, that should make him easy to use. But, so far, Macron doesn't seem to have succeeded in getting anything.

Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2015
Florida
Macron is wagering that Trump can be manipulated -- that all he cares about are things that let him preen on TV, and that if you hand him those symbolic things, he'll respond by giving up stuff that actually matters. Certainly corporate chiefs in the US have been playing Trump that way ever since he was elected. So, it's not a patently unreasonable strategy. Trump is controlled by his fragile ego and, in theory, that should make him easy to use. But, so far, Macron doesn't seem to have succeeded in getting anything.
Oh yeah, I GET that. Honestly. In the meantime MACRON ain't that popular at home (by comparison to Trumps domestic polls, Macron is a ROCK STAR) and he's going to have to navigate very carefully. The FRENCH HATE TRUMP!! (Smart people)

By the way, I'll show my ignorance here, how's Macron's relationship with Theresa May? She has to factor in here.

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think Macron feels if he lets Trump be alpha, he will get him to agree on things like the Iran deal. But the way Trump cut him down in the press conference, all it did was anger the EU making them think what if Macron agrees to a different Iran deal? So far things aren't looking good for Macron. French people want him to look tougher.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Oh yeah, I GET that. Honestly. In the meantime MACRON ain't that popular at home (by comparison to Trumps domestic polls, Macron is a ROCK STAR) and he's going to have to navigate very carefully. The FRENCH HATE TRUMP!! (Smart people)

By the way, I'll show my ignorance here, how's Macron's relationship with Theresa May? She has to factor in here.
He and May seem to get along, but then again she has issues at home already with Brexit.

Feb 2007
In my mind
The entire thing was just odd. The hand holding, the dandruff thing, the joint press thing, all seemed very unbecoming bordering on a caricature of incompetent president.

Reactions: 3 people
Jan 2016
Colorado

The British hate Trump, too. He can't even VISIT Britain, our CLOSEST ally, or there would be HUGE protests.

Heck, I like Macron, a LOT, but it's painful to see him toadying up to Trump. Show some BACKBONE, dude!

Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2013
USA
It backfired on Macron. He thought he could act as a parent figure to get Trump to act responsibly on global issues and instead they both looked like little boys. I think Macron miscalculated just how stupid Trump is.

Mar 2010
out
I think Macron feels if he lets Trump be alpha, he will get him to agree on things like the Iran deal. But the way Trump cut him down in the press conference, all it did was anger the EU making them think what if Macron agrees to a different Iran deal? So far things aren't looking good for Macron. French people want him to look tougher.
Where do you get the idea that French people want Macron to look tougher? I get the feeling the free world is embarrassed enough with your bully of a president.