Daughter of Newtown victim confronts Kelly Ayotte

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
“Erica, I, certainly let me just say—I’m obviously so sorry,” Ayotte responded. “And, um, I think that ultimately when we look at what happened in Sandy Hook, I understand that’s what drove this whole discussion—all of us want to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”
How does she plan to do that?

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Kelly Ayotte?s popularity plunges after ?no? vote on background checks ? MSNBC

Fifty percent of New Hampshire voters now say Ayotte’s ‘no’ vote on background checks makes them less likely to support her in a future election, compared to just 23% New Hampshire voters said her ‘no’ vote would be a positive factor in deciding their vote. PPP notes that 75% of New Hampshire voters say they support background checks. This is the first indication that senators who voted against background checks, something the vast majority of Americans support, may face a backlash at home, too.

Ayotte was one of a handful of swing votes on the Senate vote on background checks, which failed 54-46. Ayotte said the morning of the vote that she would “not support the Manchin-Toomey legislation, which I believe would place unnecessary burdens on law-abiding gun owners and allow for potential overreach by the federal government into private gun sales.”

Former Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabby Gifford’s super PAC, Americans for Responsible Solutions, has already begun targeting Ayotte in radio ads for her vote.
Good.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
How does she plan to do that?
Beats the shit out of me, /she said politely.

She's lying with all she has within her, and my tolerance is very low. I listened to the entire video, but ... I was so angry, I didn't process her lies.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Kelly Ayotte

Is upset that her fellow Republican Senators were angry with her because she voted to bring the Gun Registration bill to a vote.

No wonder the woman whose Mother was killed at Sandy Hook,turned her back and walked out on her.

A Woman that cannot stand up to criticism has no place in Congress.

OPINIONS,PLEASE?

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Toomey doubts second Senate gun-control vote any time soon - Main Line Times - Main Line Media News

“The bill is available right now and Sen. (Majority leader Harry) Reid could bring it up for a vote at any time, but we need five people to change their minds,” Toomey said of the last vote, which fell five votes short of the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster.

“It’s a pretty heavy lift to get five senators to change their mind on a big issue like this,” Toomey said. “It’s not likely to happen any time soon. I hope people will reconsider over time.”

Toomey’s assessment comes in the wake of comments by the bill’s co-sponsor, Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, who told Fox News Sunday he is willing to work to revive the bill.

“I don’t think he’s done,” Manchin said on Fox news Sunday, according to The Washington Post. ”I was with Pat last night, and Pat’s totally committed to this bill. And I believe that with all my heart. And we’re gonna work this bill.”

Toomey told the Digital First Media roundtable Tuesday that he has always supported background checks, which he calls “common sense,” and agreed to a request to look at the legislation being proposed Manchin because the two had worked together on bipartisan legislation that affects the coal industry both states share.

Feb 2011
happyfunville
It looks to me like the democrats overreached again and let a crisis go to waste. Pity.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
It looks to me like the democrats overreached again and let a crisis go to waste. Pity.
From the article:

Erica Lafferty, whose mother was the principal of Sandy Hook, asked Ayotte to clarify her objections to the bill, which was supported by three quarters of New Hampshire voters in a recent poll.

“You had mentioned that day, the burden on owners of gun stores that the expanded background checks would cause… I’m just wondering why the burden of my mother being gunned down in the halls of her elementary school isn’t as important as that,” she asked.
How selfish and exploitative of her to use grief over her mother's death as a platform to drive changes in gun laws.

:f_erm:

Reactions: 2 people

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Oh, well. You know those Newtown parents/fathers/mothers/sons/daughters/extended family/friends - always using the situation. It's not like they actually loved the ones they lost.

/serious eye rollage ensues