Daughter says pilot in Texas IRS crash was a hero

Jun 2007
Wisconsin
I don't know where all the breaking news topics went to, but I think this is a good reason to keep the threads here for about a month before getting rid of them. I could have added it to an existing thread instead of creating a new one.

AUSTIN, Texas – The daughter of a man who crashed his small plane into a building housing offices of the Internal Revenue Service called her father a hero for his anti-government views but said his actions, which killed an IRS employee, were "inappropriate."

Joe Stack's adult daughter, Samantha Bell, spoke to ABC's "Good Morning America" from her home in Norway. Asked during a phone interview broadcast Monday if she considered her father a hero, she said: "Yes. Because now maybe people will listen."

Authorities say Stack, 53, targeted the IRS office building in Austin on Thursday, killing employee Vernon Hunter and himself, after posting a ranting manifesto against the agency and the government. He apparently set fire to his home before flying his plane into the office building.

Hunter's son, Ken Hunter, said he's alarmed by comments that the pilot was a hero.

"How can you call someone a hero who after he burns down his house, he gets into his plane ... and flies it into a building to kill people?" Hunter told ABC." "My dad Vernon did two tours of duty in Vietnam. My dad's a hero."

Bell said she offered her deepest condolences to Hunter's family. She said her father's last actions were wrong.

"But if nobody comes out and speaks up on behalf of injustice, then nothing will ever be accomplished," she told ABC. "But I do not agree with his last action with what he did. But I do agree about the government."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100222/ap_on_re_us/us_plane_crash_pilot

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I couldn't blame the daughter for believing in her Dad, even in light of what he did. Calling him a hero is her bias talking. Still, if anything good could come out of all this, it would be a review of the processes of the system, that sometimes do destroy peoples lives. Maybe there will be some safeguards put into place. Probably not though. They will chalk it down to him being crazy and leave everything as is, and some number of years later it will happen again.

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
As I pointed out in the other thread, mental instability has nothing to do with it.

Not every evil action is the product of a sick mind. It's actually important that we recognize this.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
I wished his timing would have been different. He a legit beef, and he was actually not a bad person, what from what I read. I think a warning would have worked to his advantage, it is hard to stop a plane on such a short flight.

That said, I hope this is a one time event, the government wins when the nation resorts to anarchy and violence on the streets.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
[quote name='Feslin' date='22 February 2010 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1266866532' post='119591']

As I pointed out in the other thread, mental instability has nothing to do with it.

Not every evil action is the product of a sick mind. It's actually important that we recognize this.

[/quote]

Agreed.

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
[quote name='michaelr' date='22 February 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1266866861' post='119593']I wished his timing would have been different. He a legit beef, and he was actually not a bad person, what from what I read.[/quote]

Identifying a "bad person" is not a question of nature, but of choice.

Based on his choices, he was a bad person.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
[quote name='michaelr' date='22 February 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1266866861' post='119593']

I wished his timing would have been different. He a legit beef, and he was actually not a bad person, what from what I read.[/quote]

Regardless of his reasoning, he was a murderer. Murderers are bad people in my book.

Jun 2007
Wisconsin
[quote name='michaelr' date='22 February 2010 - 01:27 PM' timestamp='1266866861' post='119593']

I wished his timing would have been different. He a legit beef, and he was actually not a bad person, what from what I read. I think a warning would have worked to his advantage, it is hard to stop a plane on such a short flight.

That said, I hope this is a one time event, the government wins when the nation resorts to anarchy and violence on the streets.

[/quote]

When it comes to the IRS, I think everybody who pays taxes has a beef. With that being said, the daughter, bias' and all needs to shut it.

Aug 2006
Valley of the Sun
[quote name='steezer' date='22 February 2010 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1266871548' post='119644']

When it comes to the IRS, I think everybody who pays taxes has a beef. With that being said, the daughter, bias' and all needs to shut it.

[/quote]

"Needs to shut it"?

Why?

Her father is largely hated by people right now.

It'd be pretty damned tough to keep an objective point of view in situations like that, a feat that only incredibly honest (and handsome) men, such as myself, are capable of.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
[quote name='boontito' date='22 February 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1266867773' post='119611']

Regardless of his reasoning, he was a murderer. Murderers are bad people in my book.

[/quote]

Thats why I wished he had warned them of an impending crash.....err plane crash.