Days after Hawaiian mistake, Japan issues missile warning

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This has to be cyberhacking of some sort..

Japan's public broadcaster NHK sent out a false alarm about a North Korean missile launch Tuesday — days after a similar mistake caused widespread panic in Hawaii. The error was corrected within minutes.

An NHK alert reading, “It appears that North Korea has launched a missile,” was sent to app users just before 7 p.m. Tuesday (5 a.m. ET). A banner with similar wording appeared at the top of its website. NHK's error came just days after thousands of tourists and residents in Hawaii received mobile alerts on their phones warning of an imminent ballistic missile strike.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-mishap-japan-sends-false-alarm-about-n837921

Oct 2017
south area
This has to be cyberhacking of some sort..

Japan's public broadcaster NHK sent out a false alarm about a North Korean missile launch Tuesday — days after a similar mistake caused widespread panic in Hawaii. The error was corrected within minutes.

An NHK alert reading, “It appears that North Korea has launched a missile,” was sent to app users just before 7 p.m. Tuesday (5 a.m. ET). A banner with similar wording appeared at the top of its website. NHK's error came just days after thousands of tourists and residents in Hawaii received mobile alerts on their phones warning of an imminent ballistic missile strike.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-mishap-japan-sends-false-alarm-about-n837921
Didn't we take responsibility for our error though? I thought the person in charge admitted to hitting the wrong button or something

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
I was listening to this on the news. I was thinking "Ok, so you click the wrong button. But shouldn't there be a second popup that says 'ARE YOU SURE?'"??
Yeah, great point.

If I want to pay my mortgage I have to sign in, get a code from my email, enter that code, then pay my mortgage, then confirm the payment through my email once again. That's after already setting up my routing and accounts with both my bank and the mortgage firm.

One-click you say?