dealership inspired by #MeToo likely discriminated against men

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
A South Florida Toyota dealership looking to bring balance to a male-dominated sales team likely discriminated against men when it advertised exclusively for female sales associates last year, a state commission has determined.
Miami Toyota dealership inspired by #MeToo likely discriminated against men, FL says | Miami Herald

Of course there is some completely unqualified ahole suing the dealership on the basis of sexist hiring practices, f that guy.

Apparently you can't just roll out of bed and decide to undo systemic damage. Hopefully he gets out of this lawsuit and quietly passes the information that he wants some ladies on the sales team. I always wondered why there weren't more women in auto sales. It's an industry that changes at an oddly slow pace.

Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
Filing a lawsuit is easy.

WINNING the lawsuit may be a bit more difficult.

Almost anyone can file a lawsuit against almost anyone.
True but I'm not sure what the dealership did was allowable under the law.

If a man couldn't do the job (like work at Hooters) then it is permissible. There was an airline a while back called The Love Airlines (sexy, scantily dressed flight attendants, etc) and while that is how the business was presented, very few people flew it for that reason and they subsequently lost their inevitable lawsuit.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Istanbul NOT Constantinople...
I was hired once at a mall that was almost all black because I was white. True story. They did not want to lose the white clientele who spent lots of money for the conservative type clothing that we sold. I did not exactly "look white" but I guess that I was the closest they could find in that area. I knew about the reason I was hired and it actually bothered me quite a bit. Eventually, though, I became one of the top salesmen and why they hired me did not matter.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I was hired once at a mall that was almost all black because I was white. True story. They did not want to lose the white clientele who spent lots of money for the conservative type clothing that we sold. I did not exactly "look white" but I guess that I was the closest they could find in that area. I knew about the reason I was hired and it actually bothered me quite a bit. Eventually, though, I became one of the top salesmen and why they hired me did not matter.
I was in a mall once.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Miami Toyota dealership inspired by #MeToo likely discriminated against men, FL says | Miami Herald

Of course there is some completely unqualified ahole suing the dealership on the basis of sexist hiring practices, f that guy.

Apparently you can't just roll out of bed and decide to undo systemic damage. Hopefully he gets out of this lawsuit and quietly passes the information that he wants some ladies on the sales team. I always wondered why there weren't more women in auto sales. It's an industry that changes at an oddly slow pace.
Maybe it's a leftover issue from the 50's when a woman doesn't get into a car with a man she doesn't know, it's not safe, her husband might not approve.. :smiley-shrug:

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Maybe it's a leftover issue from the 50's when a woman doesn't get into a car with a man she doesn't know, it's not safe, her husband might not approve.. :smiley-shrug:
I don't know. I think it's takes a certain personality type to be a car salesperson and maybe there just aren't that many women with that personality type. And technically, the dealership did discriminate. It's funny that a guy would get all whiny about discrimination, though.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I suspect it might have more to do with the mechanics of cars. Ever go into a dealership and see these guys wanting to know how much torque a particular car has? Or how fast it goes from 0-60? Its probably not something most females even care about let alone know. Its a tad sexist but its also why we dont tend to see as many males selling baby products. The interest just isnt there.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
I don't know. I think it's takes a certain personality type to be a car salesperson and maybe there just aren't that many women with that personality type. And technically, the dealership did discriminate. It's funny that a guy would get all whiny about discrimination, though.
Women make great salespeople, look at all the real estate they sell, there are many successful women in the auto business in sales, finance and management.