Dealing with rowdy soccer fans: Russia vs. France

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Just, two bits of news I seen lately online.

First, in some French town, apparently, Algerian fans celebrating their side's 1-0 win over Senegal

apparently managed to knock down a recently installed statue of Charles De Gaulle

And, in fact, they been running wild for weeks there now, following a number of wins by their team:

On the other side, in Russia, fans of Spartak Moscow accuse OMON (riot cops) in Southern city of Rostov of brutality, after some of their guys got beat down by OMON in the hallway (bottom video) after allegedly trying to start a fight with stadium security (top video)
Eight Arrested, One Hostpitalized After Soccer Fans Clash With Police in Russia

:D

One can't help comparing a bit... lol

As this dude in Moscow, a former classmate of mine, whom I regularly communicate with, joked, about all this, there was no Algeria in World Cup in Russia last year, but, there were Moroccans, for instance
And I wondered, you know, look, they didn't go crazy like that in Moscow, did they?

"No shit", says my friend, "even Moroccans understand the difference between French Gendarmerie and our OMON, and which one of those two you definitely do NOT want to fuck with..." haha

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
And I wondered, you know, look, they didn't go crazy like that in Moscow, did they?

"No shit", says my friend, "even Moroccans understand the difference between French Gendarmerie and our OMON, and which one of those two you definitely do NOT want to fuck with..." haha
The Moroccans in Russia were wealthy Moroccans with the time and money to travel to Russia for a World Cup, and who were able to obtain visas. The Algerians in France are residents, mostly poor, and there are clearly far more of them than there were Moroccans in Russia. That probably all matters a lot more than police tactics.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
The Moroccans in Russia were wealthy Moroccans with the time and money to travel to Russia for a World Cup, and who were able to obtain visas. The Algerians in France are residents, mostly poor, and there are clearly far more of them than there were Moroccans in Russia. That probably all matters a lot more than police tactics.
I don't disagree. Just, Russian soccer hooligans have this barbaric reputation abroad. And, before the WC, lots of people from the West were scared to go there, because thought they would get attacked by the hools. But, the one, sorta, positive difference, I suppose, between Russia and Europe IMHO, related to football, is exactly this: police there are also crazy and violent and keep a hard kid on the hooligans, when ordered to :)

Ok, it doesn't sound THAT positive, when I think about it...