Debbie Dingell likens Trump's 'Muslim ban' to U.S. internment of Japanese during WWII

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
DETROIT, MI - U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell issued a statement Friday calling the new president's ban on refugees and visas for citizens of several Muslim-majority countries "deeply disturbing."

"While we all agree we need to provide for a strong national security, this approach is wrong, ineffective and jeopardizes the fundamental pillars of our constitution and the values that make this nation great: freedom of religion, compassion and justice," the Dearborn Democrat said.
"To single out this population for discrimination is wrong and reminiscent of one of the darkest periods in our nation's history - when thousands of Japanese-Americans were targeted and imprisoned in internment camps during World War II."
Debbie Dingell likens Trump's 'Muslim ban' to U.S. internment of Japanese during WWII | MLive.com

was just thinking the same thing myself.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
It really is counter to what we are supposed to be. I heard an older woman on the news living in Bumfuck, Kansas or some such place talking about how she approves of what Trump is doing because she's so fearful for her grandchildren and how she wants ISIS taken out. And I'm like, "Lady, your grandkids have a better chance of being struck by lightening than being victims of a terrorist attack. And taking ISIS out does nothing more than treat a symptom". But a large enough portion of the population thinks like that and it's emboldening Trump to do these things.

May 2012
By the wall
It really is counter to what we are supposed to be. I heard an older woman on the news living in Bumfuck, Kansas or some such place talking about how she approves of what Trump is doing because she's so fearful for her grandchildren and how she wants ISIS taken out. And I'm like, "Lady, your grandkids have a better chance of being struck by lightening than being victims of a terrorist attack. And taking ISIS out does nothing more than treat a symptom". But a large enough portion of the population thinks like that and it's emboldening Trump to do these things.
So it's better to take no action whatsoever?

I have yet to hear any sort of plan from the left so tell us what you would do?

You guys had eight years to deal with this problem and fucking ignored it, now you whine because the right is cleaning up the mess you allowed to grow out of control.

Jul 2014
Border Fence

You guys had eight years to deal with this problem and fucking ignored it, now you whine because the right is cleaning up the mess you allowed to grow out of control.
The problem is that Trump's EO has accomplished noting. Fixed nothing.

The problem with Trump supporters is that they mistake an action with completion and fix of a problem.

Nothing what Trump has done make the US any safer than it was one month ago. No safer.

They never learn.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
The problem is that Trump's EO has accomplished noting. Fixed nothing.

The problem with Trump supporters is that they mistake an action with completion and fix of a problem.

Nothing what Trump has done make the US any safer than it was one month ago. No safer.

They never learn.

The problem with low/no information types is they only read fake news headlines.

Try reading the E.O.

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas

What exactly is out of control RE: American national security? For more than 15 years, we've not had a single foreigner come to the United States intending to attack and then succeeding.

Every Islamist terror threat we've confronted has been at the hands of people who were either born here or lived here for a significant period of time, then self-radicalized or radicalized under the influence of Internet channels nobody can stop.

Most likely, the Trump administration will see at least a small handful of mass shootings, small-scale bombings or other assaults on the public order by individuals such as these. If a terrorist is willing to die in the act and tells virtually no-one about his intents, only active security everywhere — a cop on every single corner — has a chance to stop him. Not gonna happen.

A total ban on certain countries is a false solution to a false problem: People are not coming to the United States as enemies.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
What exactly is out of control RE: American national security? For more than 15 years, we've not had a single foreigner come to the United States intending to attack and then succeeding.

Every Islamist terror threat we've confronted has been at the hands of people who were either born here or lived here for a significant period of time, then self-radicalized or radicalized under the influence of Internet channels nobody can stop. Most likely, the Trump administration will see at least a small handful of mass shootings, small-scale bombings or other assaults on the public order by individuals such as these. If a terrorist is willing to die in the act and tells virtually no-one about his intents, only active security everywhere — a cop on every single corner — has a chance to stop him. Not gonna happen.

A total ban on certain countries is a false solution to a false problem: People are not coming to the United States as enemies.
See Tashfeen Malik

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
Self-radicalized, no direct ties to international terror.

Once again, these are people who are here, who are accessing information and inspiration here, and acquire the assets they need to carry out RELATIVELY small scale attacks here. What does banning foreigners accomplish?