Decriminalization of Prostitution in New York

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
I can see some positives.

The City Council in Washington, D.C., and the New York state Legislature are considering separate decriminalizatIion bills. Under decriminalization, selling and buying sex would still be illegal but would carry no criminal penaties. Several Democratic candidates for president — including Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Cory Booker — have said they would consider decriminalizing sex work nationwide.

CtC

Mar 2019
California
I can see some positives.

The City Council in Washington, D.C., and the New York state Legislature are considering separate decriminalizatIion bills. Under decriminalization, selling and buying sex would still be illegal but would carry no criminal penaties. Several Democratic candidates for president — including Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Cory Booker — have said they would consider decriminalizing sex work nationwide.
That will sure be a help stamping out AIDS.

May 2012
By the wall
I think that where it is legal, there is strict testing for STDs, which would help.
Yes in Nevada, the only state were it is legal, and only in brothels, state law requires the person to pay for weekly STD tests. However, considering they are usually making around 1000 per customer I don't think that's an issue for them.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Should it be criminal? And should both the prostitute and the customer be imprisoned and/or executed?
Yes it should be criminal. It's one of those things that has such a damaging effect on the people that engage in it. And there should be a deterrant for some acts

Reactions: Hognoxious