Democratic candidates

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
I get criticised for expressing an opinion on these things since I am a foreigner, but as I have posted, the US is the elephant in the Canadian economic living room and I do have a vested interest in it.

And it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that has read any of my posts that I am not a fan of the current Republican president. Which is strange because until Obama, I always supported the Republican candidates.

But a review of my view of Democratic candidates leading to a question:

I think Sanders and Biden are too old and Biden is same old but Sanders, as much as I like his ideas is too much, to fast.

The others are basically all OK but to me don't really have a spark to their campaigns.

I like Beto and Pete. But, Beto has been weak in expressing his policy positions whereas Pete has talked about them a lot.

My question. In today's America, can Pete make it being openly gay and displaying this with his husband?

Nov 2015
UK
I get criticised for expressing an opinion on these things since I am a foreigner, but as I have posted, the US is the elephant in the Canadian economic living room and I do have a vested interest in it.

And it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that has read any of my posts that I am not a fan of the current Republican president. Which is strange because until Obama, I always supported the Republican candidates.

I think Sanders and Biden are too old and Biden is same old but Sanders, as much as I like his ideas is too much, to fast.

The others are basically all OK but to me don't really have a spark to their campaigns.

I like Beto and Pete. But, Beto has been weak in expressing his policy positions whereas Pete has talked about them a lot.

My question. In today's America, can Pete make it being openly gay and displaying this with his husband?
I don't think the Democrats have any decent candidates. If you take Kamala Harris as an example, the democrats are not taking 2020 seriously.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

I would hope that Pete could make it - but as you see here, lots of anti-gay people still abound.

Sigh

I have no idea what one's sexuality has anything to do with actual governing.

As evidenced in the recent midterm where you gay, bisexual and transgender candidates win.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва

Pete has? Can you tell me five of his policies or positions?

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I would hope that Pete could make it - but as you see here, lots of anti-gay people still abound.

Sigh

I have no idea what one's sexuality has anything to do with actual governing.

As evidenced in the recent midterm where you gay, bisexual and transgender candidates win.

I think the 3 people who care that hes gay arent worth the effort, unkess of course you are going to use that to hang around the heads of everyone who may criticize him.

Have you figured out any policies or positions he supports yet or are we still doing that “cult of personality” nonsense?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

I think so. Americans tend to vote for personality a lot and Pete has an abundance of it. I dont think him being gay will matter. Sure there will be 30% or so who wont vote for a gay person, but they wouldnt vote for him anyways. I did hear a very interesting question at a town hall last week when Pete was up here in NH campaigning. One person asked him "how will some nations treat him as a gay president. They also asked if he would even be allowed to go to certain countries who dont like gays." It sort of took him back for a second before he responded as I dont think he had considered it. He would be in danger in some areas like Brunei or even possibly Saudi Arabia.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I don't think the Democrats have any decent candidates. If you take Kamala Harris as an example, the democrats are not taking 2020 seriously.
You beat me to it...

The Democrat party is so filled with hate that they haven't even been able to consider the possibility of running another candidate.

They are fighting for impeachment so hard that I don't believe they will allow themselves to give up until way too late, and even then, they don't have a candidate that actually has a vision beyond "not trump"...

Anti-agenda's NEVER win.

Apr 2016
Seattle
I watched the townhall on cnn with pete last night. I was very disappointed. A bunch of low ball questions, but basically he was clear on three things. He supports the green new deal, getting rid of the electoral system, and he said he would not let people in jail vote. The rest of it was gobbly gook and double talk. I noticed not that many clapped when he said to get rid of the electoral system. Maybe there were some smart people in there. Of course he can get elected being gay. Its the pc thing to be now. Perhaps not down south, but everywhere else. Actually, I watched all the townhalls and they basically all support the same things, however, Klobachar did not support medicare for all. I liked her stance on hc the most. It actually made sense.