Democratic presidential candidates support work stop by Amazon workers

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Democratic presidential candidates are supporting a work stoppage by Amazon warehouse workers who are protesting working conditions during the online retailing giant’s Prime Day sale.

“I fully support Amazon workers’ Prime Day strike,” tweeted Elizabeth Warren, a Massachusetts senator who has proposed breaking up Amazon. “Their fight for safe and reliable jobs is another reminder that we must come together to hold big corporations accountable.”

Julian Castro, a former Housing and Urban Development secretary from Texas, also took to Twitter to express solidarity. “A company worth $1 trillion can absolutely afford to provide reasonable conditions for its employees,” he wrote.

Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, who has co-sponsored legislation that would tax Amazon, Walmart Inc. and other big employers to compensate for the federal benefits received by their workers, also jumped in. After the bill was introduced last year, Amazon announced that it would raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour.

Amazon workers nationwide plan to have a work stoppage today during Amazon Prime day.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Reactions: Jeremy

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The article does not discuss what "working conditions" are at issue, so it is hard to opine, but it seems to me this is not the sort of thing presidents (and thus presidential candidates) should be weighing in on, at least not in the way they are. It makes it hard to be objective about it later. Bernie's thing (as quoted in the OP) made some sense, though, and it had the real desired effect, which was for wages to go up to obviate (at least to some degree) the need for these people to rely on federal benefits to survive.

Nov 2013
NY
The article does not discuss what "working conditions" are at issue, so it is hard to opine, but it seems to me this is not the sort of thing presidents (and thus presidential candidates) should be weighing in on, at least not in the way they are. It makes it hard to be objective about it later. Bernie's thing (as quoted in the OP) made some sense, though, and it had the real desired effect, which was for wages to go up to obviate (at least to some degree) the need for these people to rely on federal benefits to survive.
Reading some additional articles, it appears that those same politicians who wanted higher wages, now tell Amazon that this is just not enough.. and
other "better" conditions have to be met as well.

E.g., one of the main grievances seems to be of muslim workers, to be overworked and requesting lower fulfillment quotas during Ramadan, when they fast.
Given that a company could not possibly make such accommodations for one specific religious denomination only, they would now need to lower their requirements of productivity overall to satisfy the ability of the weakest link (due to voluntary lack of nutrition).
No surprise here then that Amazon pushes as fast as possible to fully automated warehouses with no human pick tasks involved in the supply chain anymore.

Reactions: GoaTlOver
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
True although Amazon does pay a $15 min wage. I suspect the working conditions could be those in the warehouses where they have tons of OSHA violations.

Jul 2014
midwest
Is AOC on the picket line?

This would seem to be her type of thing.

Especially since she helped run all those jobs away from New Yawk.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I suspect the working conditions could be those in the warehouses where they have tons of OSHA violations.
That is more of what I was wondering about. To be sure, such violations would be a problem, but they should not be painted as a political problem for presidential candidates to pick sides.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That is more of what I was wondering about. To be sure, such violations would be a problem, but they should not be painted as a political problem for presidential candidates to pick sides.
Agree as I am sure there are many other warehouses/workplaces with worse conditions or violations. But unfortunately Amazon has become a partisan football.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Democratic presidential candidates are supporting a work stoppage by Amazon warehouse workers who are protesting working conditions during the online retailing giant’s Prime Day sale.

“I fully support Amazon workers’ Prime Day strike,” tweeted Elizabeth Warren, a Massachusetts senator who has proposed breaking up Amazon. “Their fight for safe and reliable jobs is another reminder that we must come together to hold big corporations accountable.”

Julian Castro, a former Housing and Urban Development secretary from Texas, also took to Twitter to express solidarity. “A company worth $1 trillion can absolutely afford to provide reasonable conditions for its employees,” he wrote.

Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, who has co-sponsored legislation that would tax Amazon, Walmart Inc. and other big employers to compensate for the federal benefits received by their workers, also jumped in. After the bill was introduced last year, Amazon announced that it would raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour.

Amazon workers nationwide plan to have a work stoppage today during Amazon Prime day.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
This is the kind of shit that makes me all but rule out voting Democrat. Their labor positions are purely fucking insane and deserve nothing but ridicule.

Warren says "corporations need to be held accountable." How does this accomplish that?

1) Why ask consumers to boycott Amazon on Prime Day? Isn't it safe to assume that this is when their margins are thinnest? If people pick Prime Day to boycott and come back next week to buy the same stuff, aren't Amazon's margins a little bigger?
2) Why piss and moan about wages when Amazon recently upped its own minimum to $15?
3) One cannot say this is an OSHA thing. OSHA issues are OSHA issues. Customers taking orders from Democratic presidential candidates to boycott companies does not cause companies to instantly fall into compliance with OSHA. Whoever speculated OSHA is trying to rationalize what cannot be rationalized.

Anyone joining the anti-Amazon chorus with this latest stunt is being a pathetic attention whore, right there on the same level as Trump himself. Maybe worse.