Democratic presidential candidates support work stop by Amazon workers

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
This is the kind of shit that makes me all but rule out voting Democrat.
It makes me question voting for those specific people, sure ... but with Trump as the Republican, in particular, there is no question.
Warren says "corporations need to be held accountable." How does this accomplish that?

1) Why ask consumers to boycott Amazon on Prime Day? Isn't it safe to assume that this is when their margins are thinnest? If people pick Prime Day to boycott and come back next week to buy the same stuff, aren't Amazon's margins a little bigger?
2) Why piss and moan about wages when Amazon recently upped its own minimum to $15?
3) One cannot say this is an OSHA thing. OSHA issues are OSHA issues. Customers taking orders from Democratic presidential candidates to boycott companies does not cause companies to instantly fall into compliance with OSHA. Whoever speculated OSHA is trying to rationalize what cannot be rationalized.

Anyone joining the anti-Amazon chorus with this latest stunt is being a pathetic attention whore...
That was my first thought. This was a PR stunt.
... right there on the same level as Trump himself. Maybe worse.
This, I strongly disagree with. Trump's outrageous behavior will always keep him top of the list.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
It makes me question voting for those specific people, sure ... but with Trump as the Republican, in particular, there is no question.

That was my first thought. This was a PR stunt.
I'm less patient with this kind of thing than you seem. The attitude that PR stunts like this fosters really makes my blood boil.

In Seattle there is a city council critter named Kshama Sawant who hollered some years ago, "The workers should take over the factories, and shut down Boeing’s profit-making machine."

That is literally a crazy person comment. And if you think that's bad, you should see some of the insane shit she has said and done re: Amazon. Unhinged nutjob type stuff.

And similarly I see this Prime Day boycott bullshit being peddled by the Democrats as literally crazy. Being a high-ranking government official and using that position to single out one company and encourage coordinated actions to harm that company is contemptible. If customers who are unhappy with a company want to complain about the company, that's fair game. If former workers want to complain about what it was like for them to work for the company, that's fair game. But to be using a position of power, especially one that serves on a body that has lawmaking power, to single out a company and try to undermine their business as much as possible, that's inexcusable.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
I'm less patient with this kind of thing than you seem.
Considering the nonsense we have seen from Trump, this sort of stunt is pretty tame. Inappropriate, IMO, but relatively tame.
In Seattle there is a city council critter named Kshama Sawant who hollered some years ago, "The workers should take over the factories, and shut down Boeing’s profit-making machine."

That is literally a crazy person comment. And if you think that's bad, you should see some of the insane shit she has said and done re: Amazon. Unhinged nutjob type stuff.
Indeed, that stuff just plain does not make sense. Just a quick look at her Wikipedia page (I didn't bother reading it ... not feeling up to that) suggested she's a tad nuts.
Being a high-ranking government official and using that position to single out one company and encourage coordinated actions to harm that company is contemptible.
Eh. They are also not using governmental power to do anything, but only talking in support of legal action.

May 2019
West Haven
I'm less patient with this kind of thing than you seem. The attitude that PR stunts like this fosters really makes my blood boil.

And similarly I see this Prime Day boycott bullshit being peddled by the Democrats as literally crazy. Being a high-ranking government official and using that position to single out one company and encourage coordinated actions to harm that company is contemptible. If customers who are unhappy with a company want to complain about the company, that's fair game. If former workers want to complain about what it was like for them to work for the company, that's fair game. But to be using a position of power, especially one that serves on a body that has lawmaking power, to single out a company and try to undermine their business as much as possible, that's inexcusable.
So if/when Boeing or Verizon or ATT workers go on strike politicians should not support the strikers or even mention the work stoppage?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
So if/when Boeing or Verizon or ATT workers go on strike politicians should not support the strikers or even mention the work stoppage?
Well ... no. Mentioning it is different from supporting the strikers or the companies; obviously, things need to be talked about. But public officials need to be part of the solution to breakdowns between business and labor, not aggravate them.

Nov 2010
San Diego...ish

They are probably trying to get Amazon stock at a discount.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
You know what is funny? The founder of Amazon is a lifelong Democrat... LOL
What's the funny part? That these Democratic critics aren't afraid to go after one of their own.

I think that's pretty cool.

Party-over-country partisans like you can't understand stuff like that.

It's like actual Never Trumper's. Not the Never Trumper's who became Trump Enablers. But the ones who stuck to their guns and one afraid the stand against the leader of their own party.

Apr 2012
I would expect Democratic candidates to support working people.

That there is controversy over this illustrates that there are two parties advocating for the oligarchy and none for working people.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I would expect Democratic candidates to support working people.
They aren't "supporting the working people" with this attention whoring publicity stunt. The federal minimum wage is $7.25. Amazon pays a minimum of $15. To single out Amazon for unnamed labor abuses on Prime Day is headline-grabbing attention whorism.

That there is controversy over this illustrates that there are two parties advocating for the oligarchy and none for working people.
That you are using the term "oligarchy" in reference to this story just illustrates that you are one among the gullible masses who clap along to stunts like this without thinking critically.