Democrats Invited Anti-Israel Imam to Give House Invocation

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
The Democrats are proving that they are not a friend of Israel.

Omar Suleiman, the founder and president of the Dallas-based Yaqeen Institute, an organization that describes itself as a resource about Islam, referred to recent attacks on houses of worship — which has included synagogues in the United States — in his opening remarks.

“Let us not be deterred by the hatred that has claimed the lives of innocent worshippers across the world, but emboldened by the love that gathered them together to remember you and gathered us together to remember them,” Suleiman said in a short prayer after being introduced by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

Suleiman has a long record of incendiary social media statements about Israel, as compiled two years ago by Petra Marquardt-Bigman, a researcher, and posted on the Algeimeiner Jewish news site. He has on multiple occasions wished for a third Palestinian Intifada, or uprising, likened Israeli troops to Nazis, and has wished for the end of Zionism, calling Zionists “the enemies of God.” He is a backer of the boycott Israel movement.

Suleiman’s congresswoman, Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, D-Texas, invited him to deliver the prayer through a standard form on the webpage of the Office of the Chaplain of the House, according to a congressional official.

Anti-Zionist imam delivers opening prayers in the US House of Representatives - Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
And yet 71% of Jews voted Democratic and 32 of 34 Jews in Congress are Democrats. What does that tell you about your fucked up ideology? Your whiny pandering to Netanyahu has done nothing for your parties American Jewish vote.
Exactly. Good (and recent) comparative info here.

It is foolish to conflate appealing to Netanyahu (and Israeli Jews) to appealing to American Jews.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
If that's the case - then what did the Imam say (specifically) that was antisemitic, rather than critical of Israeli policy?
How can you read this and still stand behind the Democrats inviting him to give the opening blessing? I provided a link to it on his verified Facebook page.

"How befitting that the 3rd Intifada starts on the 27th night of Ramadan as worshippers are denied prayer in Masjid Al Aqsa. The march throughout Palestine is growing and all of the families in East Jerusalem are in the streets.

Meanwhile Apartheid Israel is using live ammunition on the crowds. The downfall of the Apartheid regime of South Africa started this way (See Sharpeville Massacre) and God willing on this blessed night as the 3rd Intifada begins, the beginning of the end of Zionism is here.

May Allah help us overcome this monster, protect the innocent of the world, and accept the murdered as martyrs. ameen"

Omar Suleiman

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
If that's the case - then what did the Imam say (specifically) that was antisemitic, rather than critical of Israeli policy?
This particular Iman has called Israel and apartheid state.

He's called for a Palestinian uprising against Israel.

He's called for a intifada against Israel on Facebook.

KKK, apartheid, ethnic cleansing: The anti-Israel fury of imam chosen by Democrats to give Congress prayer

But, you keep defending this Anti-Semitic POS and the Anti-Semitic Party that would have him give invocations on the House floor.

To be honest I wouldn't expect anything else.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
"Want to know what its like to live under Nazis? Look no further than how the Palestinians are treated daily by apartheid Israel. Sickening"

Link

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
Here's another of his gems of wisdom.

"How symbolic: 2 books buried in the rubble of a destroyed home in Gaza: One about Moses and the other about Muhammad (peace be upon them both). The Zionists are the enemies of God, His Messengers, sincere followers of all religions, and humanity as a whole."

Link

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
How can you read this and still stand behind the Democrats inviting him to give the opening blessing? I provided a link to it on his verified Facebook page.

"How befitting that the 3rd Intifada starts on the 27th night of Ramadan as worshippers are denied prayer in Masjid Al Aqsa. The march throughout Palestine is growing and all of the families in East Jerusalem are in the streets.

Meanwhile Apartheid Israel is using live ammunition on the crowds. The downfall of the Apartheid regime of South Africa started this way (See Sharpeville Massacre) and God willing on this blessed night as the 3rd Intifada begins, the beginning of the end of Zionism is here.

May Allah help us overcome this monster, protect the innocent of the world, and accept the murdered as martyrs. ameen"

Omar Suleiman
If I had my way, there would be no congressional invocations. There's a time and place for religious ceremonies. And the U.S. Capitol Building doesn't qualify. The Christian Bible states this unambiguously in Matthew 6:5-6. Prayer should be a private matter; not a public spectacle.

I read the quote - and it's critical of Israeli policy. And so am I. Suleiman calls for the end of Zionism; not the end of Israel. And if Zionism were to end, and Israel were to withdraw the settlements, I'd be thrilled. Israel is in a tight spot - and I understand why many of their policies are necessary. However, their expansionist policies don't make Israel any safer, and if Israel wants to take the high ground, then it's on them to make peace a POSSIBILITY - even if they know it will be rejected again and again.