Democrats, Keep Cool and Calm

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Interesting piece by Froma Harrop. Agree or disagree?

Americans are hurting as their country descends into dysfunction, polarization and widespread anger. But Democrats can make up lost ground -- if they're smart. If they're smart, they'll proceed in a cool, calm and controlled manner. Most Americans pine for normal leadership. That's what Democrats must offer. The enraged ones on the left will not help the cause by aping the uncouth right. The Trump camp lives for conflict with you. Don't reward it by rising to the bait.

Stop accosting Republicans in elevators and restaurants. That only generates sympathy for the targets. It blurs the distinction between you and them. Stop threatening impeachment of Trump and new investigations into Kavanaugh. Visions of more disruption scare moderates and excite the Trump base. Sexual misconduct is a potent issue, but not one that should be leading the Democratic parade. Please confine your obsession with the white male patriarchy to sociology class. You wouldn't stereotype anyone else that way.

Democrats, you have become the party of normality -- of defending what's left of our political norms. Don't blow it by losing your cool.

Democrats, Keep Cool and Keep Calm | RealClearPolitics

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Democrats are always the ones who are called on to be cool, calm and collected. It's tedious. I don't know if it's good advice or not. As I've said repeatedly, I don't understand what goes through people's minds when they vote.
Its really hard to say these days. Logically it makes sense since any NeverTrump people would rather vote for moderate level headed dems. But that doesnt always happen. Local elections are local, not national. So I think its hard to tag Trump as being on the ballot. People will vote for who they like and who represents their ideology the closest. If it comes out to what can excite the base, then all bets are off. I dont think registered lifelong dems want to be calm and cool. So it leaves it up in the air, want more of the base to turn out or attract independents? Thats where we stand.

Nov 2010
Democrats are always the ones who are called on to be cool, calm and collected. It's tedious. I don't know if it's good advice or not. As I've said repeatedly, I don't understand what goes through people's minds when they vote.
Yeah, screw that bullshit. We have let the scum republicans steal this country for far too long, be the most absurd hypocrites. No, fuck that, lets start fighting fire with fire. Going high doesn't do shit as these lowlifes are winning

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
From the link:

Republicans' abject submission to Trump has turned their party into the Trump party. A lot of agonized Republicans and Republican-leaning independents would now like to vote for the non-Trump party.
Democrats, you have become the party of normality -- of defending what's left of our political norms. Don't blow it by losing your cool.

This is why sinking to the level of your opponent may not be a good idea. It also comes across as hypocritical to castigate someone for vitriol and then follow a similar style...

Dec 2006
Mmm, muffins
Disagree. That's what Democrats have been doing since 1976, and it hasn't worked. Too many moderates want to be apolitical, because it's a whole lot easier. They need to be reminded that there are still thousands of children in concentration camps in the desert. Moderates need to be reminded that Roe v. Wade, Brown v. Board of Education, Lawrence v. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodges are all up for grabs right now, no matter who wins midterms and no matter who wins in 2020. There is a sizable contingent in the GOP that wants to do away with all of these decisions, and that's their single, overriding goal. You can't stop that with politeness and civility. It didn't work with Hitler and the brownshirts nearly a century ago, and it won't work now.

To say nothing of the recent revelations about climate change. This is a planetary emergency. We can't afford to keep doing the same things the same way we've been doing for 40 years. Our names will be cursed for generations in the future if we continue to do business as usual.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
From the link:

Republicans' abject submission to Trump has turned their party into the Trump party. A lot of agonized Republicans and Republican-leaning independents would now like to vote for the non-Trump party.

This is why sinking to the level of your opponent not be a good idea. It also comes across as hypocritical to castigate someone for vitriol and then follow a smiliar style...
But here is the Catch 22. If they "play nice" does that turn off the base? One could argue they did this in 2016 and the base wasnt energized. Will enough indies cross over? Or will they just stay home?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Disagree. That's what Democrats have been doing since 1976, and it hasn't worked. Too many moderates want to be apolitical, because it's a whole lot easier. They need to be reminded that there are still thousands of children in concentration camps in the desert. Moderates need to be reminded that Roe v. Wade, Brown v. Board of Education, Lawrence v. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodges are all up for grabs right now, no matter who wins midterms and no matter who wins in 2020. There is a sizable contingent in the GOP that wants to do away with all of these decisions, and that's their single, overriding goal. You can't stop that with politeness and civility. It didn't work with Hitler and the brownshirts nearly a century ago, and it won't work now.

To say nothing of the recent revelations about climate change. This is a planetary emergency. We can't afford to keep doing the same things the same way we've been doing for 40 years. Our names will be cursed for generations in the future if we continue to do business as usual.
Good post. But the unfortunate reality is I dont think the vast majority really care. We have close to 45% of eligible voters who dont even vote at all. Plus, I havent heard any candidates speaking to those issues at all. Local ones are trying to talk healthcare or taxes. Others are talking Supreme Court. Or impeachment. I think democrats have a better message overall but how to get it out there? How does a Heitkamp in ND get her message out in a deep red state?

Last edited: