.Democrats make pre-election pitch to help seniors - buy votes with tax payer money.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
desperate move because they see the writing on the wall.

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer Jim Abrams, Associated Press Writer – Tue Oct 19, 3:29 am ET

WASHINGTON – Democrats are making a pre-election pitch to give Social Security recipients a one-time payment of $250, part of a larger effort to convince senior voters that their party, and not Republicans, will best look out for the 58 million people who get the government retirement and disability benefits.

Democrats make pre-election pitch to help seniors - Yahoo! News

mtm1963

K

katiegrrl0

No cost of living increase for two years. That equates to 125 a year. This is a big deal. How do people that live on a fixed income survive as costs go up without some sort of increase. For Christ's sake do the Republicans and those idiot Dem's what these people living on the street as well?

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Good! Anything they can do to keep from letting the GOP finish the job they started of destroying this country is fine by me!

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
The cost of Social Security needs to be brought under control somehow. The people paying into it now will never see any return if it is not reformed, and it is our top federal expense behind Defense and Healthcare. I don't think that means privatization but I do think it means increasing the retirement age and, especially, lifting the cap on SS taxes. Privatization is not the answer but it will never pass so I'm not too worried about it.

This is a political tactic, to be sure, but nothing extraordinarily outrageous given how people have suffered in the wake of the recession. And Reid, despite himself, is telling the truth here... the GOP has done dick for the retired people in its tenure and they will do dick if put back into power. I'll take political tactics and "vote buying" over nothing.

May 2006
Bizzaro Werld

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer Jim Abrams, Associated Press Writer – Tue Oct 19, 3:29 am ET

WASHINGTON – Democrats are making a pre-election pitch to give Social Security recipients a one-time payment of $250, part of a larger effort to convince senior voters that their party, and not Republicans, will best look out for the 58 million people who get the government retirement and disability benefits.

mtm1963[/QUOTE
]

Big deal, this is the 2nd year in a row that Social Security recipents have no had a cost of living increase.

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut

Democrats make pre-election pitch to help seniors - Yahoo! Newsmtm1963
I remember THE SHRUB sending out chec ks also. Were the Republicans buying votes with taxpayers money also or were yhey just stimulating the economy!!!! ta da ta ta da

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
No cost of living increase for two years. That equates to 125 a year. This is a big deal. How do people that live on a fixed income survive as costs go up without some sort of increase. For Christ's sake do the Republicans and those idiot Dem's what these people living on the street as well?
Quite likely, but it is just my opinion, mtm is one of those who would take away all Social Security from those currently getting it and those who will soon be eligible for it and turn the money over to private bankers who will manage that money for them for a fee of course. So many so called conservatives mostly want to downgrade the middle class stripping them of their assets and give those assets to the wealthy and to corporations. And in answer to your question, it is my opinion they don't care where these people live as long and there is no subsidy being given to them, even if that money is money they contributed to that fund over the course of their lifetime. Conservatives are goons. Goons who will rob without conscience from those working and the poor to enrich the already rich.

As I told Feetie in another thread on a different topic (sort of) it does matter who is in power. There is greed and corruption by Democrats. Nevertheless wealthy Democrats understand the need and significance of a strong middle class which requires a more equitable distribution of wealth, society in general benefits and thrives if there is opportunity for a larger number of people.

Oh, and thank you for your comments which frequently allow me the opportunity to rant a little about a group of people (Conservatives) whose amorality is so perverted that it borders on evil.

K

katiegrrl0

You're welcome.
I do not see how helping those on SS out with a check is an evil thing. Maybe mtm wants to see the elderly in his family living in a box. mtm Mary Tyler Moore is that who that person is.

Jul 2011
Tennessee

mtm1963[/QUOTE
]

Big deal, this is the 2nd year in a row that Social Security recipents have no had a cost of living increase.
having very low inflation is a big deal, in fact it's grerat!!

mtm1963