Democrats Squirm as Candace Owens Unloads on Racism

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
<quizzical look> Who said that racism was the ONLY issue? Please, find a quote from someone--anyone--that either states or implies that idea? (And I mean someone who's actually commented on the "Southern Strategy" in a serious way--not some random PH poster.)

Is this post I'm quoting just another example of the all-or-nothing, black-and-white thinking that so often afflicts right-wing posters here? I thought you were better than that. I really did.
I think we're stretching the idea of regional loyalty a little far here. Is some guy in Kentucky who left the Democratic party out of disgust for civil rights going to go back because someone from Georgia is running? That's someone in Pennsylvania voting for someone because they come from Indiana. John Kerry thought that he could win some southern states by having a running mate from the south and that went over like a lead balloon.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
I think we're stretching the idea of regional loyalty a little far here. Is some guy in Kentucky who left the Democratic party out of disgust for civil rights going to go back because someone from Georgia is running?
Yes. Absolutely. I've lived in Kentucky.
That's someone in Pennsylvania voting for someone because they come from Indiana. John Kerry thought that he could win some southern states by having a running mate from the south and that went over like a lead balloon.
VP's aren't as powerful as presidents, and the mere presence of a southerner on the ticket isn't going to help. The "Southern Strategy" is all about RHETORIC. Al Gore lost both his own state and Clinton's when he ran--merely being a Southerner isn't enough--you have to talk a particular way. And Indiana isn't in the same region as PA. You know that. Pittsburgh is the last city in the East. Cleveland is the first city in the midwest. I think you're being disingenuous because you know how powerful regional loyalties are in our country. We fought a freakin' war over them. This isn't about state boundary lines--it's about culture.

It's not called the "Solid South" for nothing. That term was coined in the aftermath of the Civil War as Southern states rejoined the Union and fell into opposition to Republicans, who represented to them Lincoln, Carpetbaggers, and the intrusion Federal power into local social relations (I'm being polite with that last part). That lasted until about the New Deal, at which time African-Americans began switching loyalties to Democrats. When the Dixiecrats split from the Dem party, they had few viable choices, but Republicans DELIBERATELY catered to them as Dems sought to move away.

There are reasons why people like our own John Ford see Democrats as hostile to white people and while low-level Republicans say racist stuff that gets reported in the paper, that rarely happens with Democrats. Political parties evolve, and politics has its own sort of economics. When a faction is cut loose from one party, it's natural for the other party to pick them up. It's been going on for 230 years or so.

Last edited:
Nov 2006
As bigoted as a party that panders by offering handouts because they don’t believe minorities can succeed by themselves?
who the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever really heard someone from the left utter such fucking stupidity?

It is a good thing asians don’t rely on government assistance.
Sure wish all of those from the right throughout the south didn't. (even if your comment is fucking stupid as well)