Despite dangers U.S. teens text and drive

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Despite dangers U.S. teens text and drive: poll - Yahoo! News

A day doesn't go by that I don't see at least one person attempting to text and drive. Sometimes it is a young person, but just as often it is someone older. Cellphones in general and texting specifically is a blessing and a curse. Too bad that the people who use the tech are not as intelligent as the people who invented it.
Not just teens as you mention. We just had a horrific tragedy near here when a mom of 4 in her 40s was busy texting and drove full speed through a red light and killed a father and his two year old...

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
I read something about possible deployment of technology that would allow police officers who observe dangerous cell phone use behind the wheel to shut the phone off, get the information of the driver, and mail them a hefty fine all without even making a traffic stop. If it could work, with the proper measures taken to prevent abuse, I'd wholeheartedly support it. There was a local family recently killed by a 20-year-old who hit them head on after drifting across the highway median while texting. It is at least as dangerous as DUI.

Otherwise, the only real solution is to handle it like DUI -- after the fact. Pull the fucking cell phone records of the at-fault driver and hammer them appropriately.

Apr 2011
Under your skin
I read something about possible deployment of technology that would allow police officers who observe dangerous cell phone use behind the wheel to shut the phone off, get the information of the driver, and mail them a hefty fine all without even making a traffic stop. If it could work, with the proper measures taken to prevent abuse, I'd wholeheartedly support it. There was a local family recently killed by a 20-year-old who hit them head on after drifting across the highway median while texting. It is at least as dangerous as DUI.

Otherwise, the only real solution is to handle it like DUI -- after the fact. Pull the fucking cell phone records of the at-fault driver and hammer them appropriately.
In a town in New Jersey, they banned "texting and walking" because of all the people causing a hazard by jaywalking. sadly, our laws have to be designed around the lowest common denominator.

N.J. Town Bans Texting While Walking | Today News Gazette

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

I think it probably is worse than DWI..You are completely distracted when you text. I also read a study where it said that when you are driving and your cell phone rings 90% of drivers immediately slam their brakes in reaction..

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
meridian5455 said:
In a town in New Jersey, they banned "texting and walking" because of all the people causing a hazard by jaywalking. sadly, our laws have to be designed around the lowest common denominator.

N.J. Town Bans Texting While Walking | Today News Gazette
That's a bit excessive. I don't care what the situation is, vehicles needs to give right-of-way to pedestrians. It's not that hard.

Apr 2011
Under your skin
That's a bit excessive. I don't care what the situation is, vehicles needs to give right-of-way to pedestrians. It's not that hard.
I agree that vehicle should stop for pedestrians, but the pedestrians need to help out by not steppin gin front of cars. I was leaving work the other day and the road I was on had a 45 mph speed limit. I saw someone crossing the road a few hundred feet up and knew that he could easily cross before I reached him. But as I approached, he apparently dropped something and turned around to go back for it. I braked pretty quickly, but then he turned back around again to cross and almost got hit by another vehicle coming from the other direction. People need to use more common sense.

Apr 2011
Under your skin

[video=youtube;ZXYY_ep5Nh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYY_ep5Nh0&feature=fvsr[/video]

Remember the woman who fell into a fountain while texting?

Dec 2007
NY
[video=youtube;ZXYY_ep5Nh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXYY_ep5Nh0&feature=fvsr[/video]

Remember the woman who fell into a fountain while texting?
The humiliation? No one would of even known who you were if you didn't go on TV dumbass. And security should of done more? Wowww. Too bad it wasn't off a cliff, then we wouldn't have to worry about her tainting the gene pool.

Apr 2011
Under your skin
The humiliation? No one would of even known who you were if you didn't go on TV dumbass. And security should of done more? Wowww. Too bad it wasn't off a cliff, then we wouldn't have to worry about her tainting the gene pool.
I generally don't like to see people get hurt, but a little public humiliation can work wonders sometimes. Hopefully this woman learned from her mistake. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.