Despite promises, medical bankruptcy still as high with the ACA

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Our society is geared to helping the "better off" at everyone else's expense, so yeah, the middle class is starting to take it in the shorts as well as the poor.
The middle class has always taken it in the shorts. Ever since I joined them with my first college job.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Yep, ended up the ER Christmas night at 9pm, that was the only option, $3,500 for an IV.
And how much did you actually pay for this IV? Do you have insurance? Do you have deductables and co-pays? Could you afford to pay the entire cost out of pocket? Did you really need this IV? Those aren't loaded questions? My point is How do we make healthcare affordable for everyone and accessible for everyone?

Nov 2015
UK
My friend's broken wrist had a $3,000 copay.
I think one number in 2015 was that the NHS costs everyone on average £5,000 each per year (£416 per month). So the out of the tax paid on goods, stamp duty, vehicle excise duty etc... £416 per month per person paid for the NHS. Bearing in mind, someone earning £100,000 is contributing more on tax than someone on £20,000.

So imagine you guys had to pay on average £416 per month in tax, no medical insurance premiums and when you went to see and use a doctor/hospital, the bill was £0.00, would you prefer that over your current system? In addition, if you had extra income, you can pay for private treatment, say £500 to jump the waiting queue and get the MRI scan the next day.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
And how much did you actually pay for this IV? Do you have insurance? Do you have deductables and co-pays? Could you afford to pay the entire cost out of pocket? Did you really need this IV? Those aren't loaded questions? My point is How do we make healthcare affordable for everyone and accessible for everyone?
I have a different copay for the ER. It is 3K to walk in the door. I lacerated a knuckle a few years back letting a dog out and raked it over the hook when she shot out the door after a squirrel. I tried to steri strip it for a day. I ended up calling around, with a hand that was still bleeding after 24 hours to find the best deal. Ended up at a urgent care center and still paid almost 500.00...for 5 stitches.

Sep 2013
On a hill
My middle class friend ended up in the ER because she couldnt breathe. They delivered medication with a nebulizer, sent her home, and billed $13,000.

Sep 2013
On a hill
I think one number in 2015 was that the NHS costs everyone on average £5,000 each per year (£416 per month). So the out of the tax paid on goods, stamp duty, vehicle excise duty etc... £416 per month per person paid for the NHS. Bearing in mind, someone earning £100,000 is contributing more on tax than someone on £20,000.

So imagine you guys had to pay on average £416 per month in tax, no medical insurance premiums and when you went to see and use a doctor/hospital, the bill was £0.00, would you prefer that over your current system? In addition, if you had extra income, you can pay for private treatment, say £500 to jump the waiting queue and get the MRI scan the next day.
What difference would it make to me if I pay an insurance co. or the government as a tax if I get the care I need for less money.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

So the wealthy get quicker treatment? That kind of stinks. But I guess it makes sense. They certainly wont be going to the same hospitals and doctors as the rest of the people. They certainly dont here either but its disappointing to hear that about the NHS. Do they actually skip the line or go to an alternative site?

Apr 2015
Katmandu
All that was needed was to develop an expensive pre-existing condition and then lose the job that provides your health insurance. Even if you found another job, down the road, the new health insurance could deny coverage for the pre-existing condition.
That was illegal long decades before Obamacare.