Despite promises, medical bankruptcy still as high with the ACA

Nov 2015
UK
So the wealthy get quicker treatment? That kind of stinks. But I guess it makes sense. They certainly wont be going to the same hospitals and doctors as the rest of the people. They certainly dont here either but its disappointing to hear that about the NHS. Do they actually skip the line or go to an alternative site?
When I hurt my back I needed an MRI scan to see how bad. This could take up to 3 months on the NHS. I told my doctor I would pay. The hospital rang to say £500, I agreed to that amount and went in the next day for the scan to the same hospital where the scan would have been done under the NHS.

There are some private facilities but the bulk is undertaken at NHS hospitals.

If you break a bone, you're in straight away and fixed.

Oct 2018
WonderfulOregon
A new study shows how the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has failed to solve one of the major crises in the American for-profit health insurance system that it was supposed to help eradicate: bankruptcies related to high medical bills and other healthcare-related costs.

The Consumer Bankruptcy Project (CBP) examined 910 bankruptcies that were filed between 2013 and 2016 and found that, similarly to before the ACA was passed in 2010, 66.5 percent of the bankruptcies were brought about by medical bills families were unable to afford or income loss due to illnesses. About 530,000 American households continue to see their finances wiped out each year due to medical costs, according to the report, which was published in the American Journal of Public Health.

"Unless you're Bill Gates, you're just one serious illness away from bankruptcy," said Dr. David Himmelstein, the study's lead author. "For middle-class Americans, health insurance offers little protection. Most of us have policies with so many loopholes, copayments, and deductibles that illness can put you in the poorhouse. And even the best job-based health insurance often vanishes when prolonged illness causes job loss—just when families need it most."

The report "found no evidence that the ACA reduced the proportion of bankruptcies driven by medical problems: 65.5 percent of debtors cited a medical contributor to their bankruptcy in the period prior to the ACA’s implementation as compared to 67.5 percent in the three years after the law came into effect," PNHP said in a statement.

Despite Promises of ACA, Study Shows Two-Thirds of Personal Bankruptcies Still Caused by Illness and Medical Bills
The American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) from the American Public Health Association (APHA) publications
bajisima:
The 'Common Dreams' link points to the price of insurance policies in causing people to move to an inadequate plan. The ACA defines what level is expect when you obtain medical insurance - ACA compliant

==============================

The 'Common Dreams' article -
"We need to move ahead from the ACA to a single-payer, Medicare for All system that assures first-dollar coverage for everyone".

The Commonwealth Fund released its own findings on the post-ACA healthcare system (what has happened since it was implemented and the current problems is not ACA but 'for profit' insurance costs.

More Americans with "employer-based healthcare plans" are under-insured, without continuous coverage all year, than were before the law was passed.

Commonwealth Fund released post-ACA healthcare statistics

1. More Americans with employer-based healthcare plans are under-insured, without continuous coverage all year, than were before the law was passed.

2. Middle-class households made up most of the Bankruptcy filers, pointed out skyrocketing premiums and copays which demand thousands of dollars - change plans to keep the premiums down and the plans don't pay the medical bills.

3. 29 million without insurance - (Adults Uninsured or Underinsured adds to 87 million)
===

"The only solution to medical bankruptcies is a Medicare for All system, said Physicians for a National Health Plan (PNHP), one of several national organizations that have led the fight for universal, government-funded healthcare for decades."

"The ACA was a step forward, but 29 million remain uncovered, and the epidemic of under-insurance is out of control," said Dr. Steffie Woolhandler "We need to move ahead from the ACA to a single-payer, Medicare for All system that assures first-dollar coverage for everyone."
Despite Promises of ACA, Study Shows Two-Thirds of Personal Bankruptcies Still Caused by Illness and Medical Bills

================
It's a misleading reference to ACA -
The ACA knew a decent policy would prevent bankruptcy - The ACA requires your policy to ba ACA complient

Increased Taxes? You are gouged by paying Blue Cross $500 a moth- but you but you refuse to accept the increase in taxes will never add to $500 a month!

Feb. 7, 2019 US NEWS
87MILLION Adults Were Uninsured or Underinsured in 2018,
Survey Says As health care costs rise, more Americans are being pushed into inadequate health insurance plans

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthi...e-coverage-leads-people-to-avoid-seeking-care

====

If the plan you purchase is not AC-compliant, you will be subject to a penalty
Source: If I say ‘No!’ to Obamacare and buy my coverage outside of the exchanges, will I have to pay a penalty if the benefits don’t meet Obamacare’s standards?

=================

Your link to the AJM is odd -
The American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) from the American Public Health Association (APHA) publications seems to be the main place all AJPH articles are kept. Going to the page, you see something about ACA and Bankruptcy. But the two articles below discuss DACA - and something in Madrid (?)

I did find some AJPH site and it discussed the ACA and bankruptcy. But, It was very confussing because it discussed Obama Care compared to Romney care - RomneyCare ended when the ACA became effective. The discussion is about how well ACA has done and looking at the new problem - inadequate insurance policies that are cheap but will leave you with huge bills.

So.Common Dreams wants single payer...points at the costs for the reason.

Consumer Reports has a site called 'How the Affordable Care Act Drove Down Personal Bankruptcy"
Expanded health insurance helped cut the number of filings by half
May 02, 2017

How the Affordable Care Act Drove Down Personal Bankruptcy

The bottom line is, we have to stop using bandaids and look at all the reasons we need single payer

Jul 2015
Florida
Agree but again the US doesnt have the infrastructure. We need thousands of new doctors and nurses to ensure everyone gets what they will pay for.
BAJ, it's coming. I'll say seriously within the next 10 years. Not completed starting conversion. The docs, nurses, techs will STAFF UP. In 25 years the entire country will wonder what the fuck took so long!!

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Nope. You must be confused again.
No confusion, you loooooove them...and you love the thought of a hereditary aristocracy that owns the country in perpetuity without ever having to work a day in their lives..like the Rockefellers, the Trumps, the Waltons, and the other 50 richest families that own a vast part of the wealth in this country and did not have to earn a single cent of it.

The 25 richest American families, ranked