Despite Trump promises, Keystone pipeline won't have to use American steel. WTF?

Mar 2016
Slumming Around In orange baby NEW America!
Gee? I was promised this..

Trump: Keystone, Dakota Access pipeline makers must buy US steel

But I'm getting this. WHY?

Despite Trump promises, Keystone pipeline won't have to use American steel

A White House spokeswoman said Friday that the "buy American" rules in Trump's order clearing way for pipelines won't apply to the high-profile Keystone project, which will carry crude oil from Canada to the U.S. Gulf Coast.

"The way that the Executive Order is written is actually ... specific to new pipelines or those that are being repaired," the spokeswoman said. "Since [Keystone] is already currently under construction ... it was hard to go back. Everything moving forward would be all under that executive order."
But Trump has vowed repeatedly that only steel from American steelmakers could be used on Keystone as well as other U.S. oil pipelines. He said so the day he signed the Executive Order, as well as in his address to Congress this week.
Despite Trump promises, Keystone pipeline won't have to use American steel - Mar. 3, 2017

:think: I'm glad other nations STILL are making the steel pipe. No matter what TrumPigOlini tells me. Seems like another MAGA DEAL!
Realy the pipe are ther already in Yuge pipe holding frilds all over the place. FFS! No NEW pipe will be made. It they are, they won't be made here..FFS!
Kinds like 'You can keep your Doctor', NO? If they want to play word games here.

Mar 2016
Slumming Around In orange baby NEW America!
In 2012, TransCanada said 50 percent of the pipes used to build the project would come from a plant in Little Rock, Arkansas, operated by Indian conglomerate Welspun. The remaining pipe would be made in Canada, Italy and India.

Welspun imports the PIPE! FFS! Owning the plant in little rock is a cover!

Singularity

Former Staff
Oct 2009
Kansas
The promise was always impossible. A more educated person on WTO rules and other regulations would be able to precisely tell you how this particular case works, just in general: If the government is involved in authorizing and regulating a project, an objective cost-benefit analysis is required in deciding who to buy materials from, which firms to hire, and where stuff comes from.

When you're talking about raw materials like steel, which literally everyone in the world knows how to make flawlessly — it's just a matter of who can produce and deliver sufficient quantities — there is no possible benefit in objective terms by going American. We'd have to demonstrate that all foreign bids are defective or detrimental to the success of the project, and if we tried to make that argument to a WTO arbitrator, we'd rightly be laughed out of the room.

Therefore, price and delivery date are the criteria which must determine the winner. China is going to win on both counts when it comes to raw steel, period.