Detroit in downward spiral as budget dries up

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
"Detroit has been breaking down, bit by bit, before our eyes. On Monday, most of its students could not go to school and on Tuesday, the taps will go dry for thousands. As always, money is the issue. There's not nearly enough to go around."

"Thousands of Detroit teachers walked off their jobs Monday in a wage dispute, forcing 94 out of 97 city schools to close and leaving more than 47,000 students out of class. "We're being told our school system is basically broke," said Ivy Bailey, the interim teachers union president. The sick out was called because the city schools are expected to run out of cash July 1st. No money for the teachers, and no funding for summer school or special education programs.
On Tuesday, the school system announced that 93 schools would be closed, reports CBS Detroit."

"For the last few days, thousands of people lined up to make sure they are not deprived of a basic necessity of life -- water. But starting Tuesday at 8 a.m., Detroit -- a city of 700,000 people -- will turn off the water for the 20,000 households which still have not paid their bill and not chosen to take advantage of payment plans the city is offering. Fifty-three-year-old Fay lost her nursing job two years ago, and a bad hip has left her immobile, unable to find work, and unable to pay her $1,800 water bill.

"I feel destitute, I feel like I'm in a third county, a third-world country," Fay told CBS News.

Detroit in a downward spiral as budget dries up - CBS News

Reactions: 1 person
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Jan 2016
Colorado
Samuel P. Huntington said that civilizations DIE when the elites become unwilling to pay for even basic services, like infrastructure and education.

That is EXACTLY what is happening to America, right now.

Reactions: 2 people
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Samuel P. Huntington said that civilizations DIE when the elites become unwilling to pay for even basic services, like infrastructure and education.

Our problem locally is that senior citizens vote down all the budgets and they outnumber other voters. We even had a fight at a school board meeting over Kleenex. Older people said it wasn't necessary for taxpayers to fund them. Our local meeting went for over 3 and a half hours. It was only scheduled for 1. Every one is erupting into fights.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
"Detroit has been breaking down, bit by bit, before our eyes. On Monday, most of its students could not go to school and on Tuesday, the taps will go dry for thousands. As always, money is the issue. There's not nearly enough to go around."

"Thousands of Detroit teachers walked off their jobs Monday in a wage dispute, forcing 94 out of 97 city schools to close and leaving more than 47,000 students out of class. "We're being told our school system is basically broke," said Ivy Bailey, the interim teachers union president. The sick out was called because the city schools are expected to run out of cash July 1st. No money for the teachers, and no funding for summer school or special education programs.
On Tuesday, the school system announced that 93 schools would be closed, reports CBS Detroit."

"For the last few days, thousands of people lined up to make sure they are not deprived of a basic necessity of life -- water. But starting Tuesday at 8 a.m., Detroit -- a city of 700,000 people -- will turn off the water for the 20,000 households which still have not paid their bill and not chosen to take advantage of payment plans the city is offering. Fifty-three-year-old Fay lost her nursing job two years ago, and a bad hip has left her immobile, unable to find work, and unable to pay her $1,800 water bill.

"I feel destitute, I feel like I'm in a third county, a third-world country," Fay told CBS News.

Detroit in a downward spiral as budget dries up - CBS News
Yet the five most dangerous states are: Alaska, Nevada, Tennessee, New Mexico and Florida.

Apr 2011
Under your skin

Or maybe they are simply getting tired of paying for them for so long and being told that is not enough. Government needs to keep its hands out of my pockets. Every year, I have to dig a little deeper. And for what? I am tired of being required to pay for other people's daily needs.

Social programs are supposed to be temporary and allow a person who may have suffered a misfortune to get back on their feet and earn a living again. They are not supposed to be a way of life that is passed down from one generation to the next.

People used to be ashamed to have to ask for a handout. Now they think they are entitled and get upset when you don't give it to them.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Or maybe they are simply getting tired of paying for them for so long and being told that is not enough. Government needs to keep its hands out of my pockets. Every year, I have to dig a little deeper. And for what? I am tired of being required to pay for other people's daily needs.

Social programs are supposed to be temporary and allow a person who may have suffered a misfortune to get back on their feet and earn a living again. They are not supposed to be a way of life that is passed down from one generation to the next.

People used to be ashamed to have to ask for a handout. Now they think they are entitled and get upset when you don't give it to them.
Thanks for proving Huntington's point, and my point. Education spending is NOT a 'temporary' need. It is a PERMANENT and ONGOING need for ANY society. Unless, of course, you are perfectly 'OK' with America becoming dumber and dumber and dumber.

Sounds like you are, actually......Do you just want more company?

Reactions: 5 people