Detroit man says he lost his job for sharing a meme

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

(WXYZ) — We’ve heard stories about people getting fired for inappropriate posts on social media. But is that what happened to an employee of a stone company in Detroit?

Cody Hidalgo says he lost his job after sharing a meme on Facebook, speaking exclusively to 7 Action News reporter Syma Chowdhry.

The meme was a photo of Elmo on a potty with the words, “Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That’s why I poop on company time.”

“I found the meme on one of my friend’s pages and I shared it,” Hidalgo said.

The 23-year-old posted the meme on Facebook Sunday, Oct. 20.

“I share things that are funny all the time,” Hidalgo said.

A couple hours later, he got a profanity-laced message from his manager at Roman Stone Works.
Much more: Metro Detroit man says he lost his job for sharing a meme

Exchange with his manager

Personally, I wouldn't fire an employee over such shit. Or have a flame match with them on social media lol

But, I am not an insecure asshole, I suppose...

Plus, I am generally well liked by those who work under me, as far as I know, precisely because I tend to treat people well in general :)

OTOH, we do basically have mainly HIS (employee's) side of the story here.

What I see in the exchange "I don't like to play your bullshit games", maybe it is not their first spat, maybe there is some prior history there too...

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Much more: Metro Detroit man says he lost his job for sharing a meme

Exchange with his manager

Personally, I wouldn't fire an employee over such shit. Or have a flame match with them on social media lol

But, I am not an insecure asshole, I suppose...

Plus, I am generally well liked by those who work under me, as far as I know, precisely because I tend to treat people well in general :)

OTOH, we do basically have mainly HIS (employee's) side of the story here.

What I see in the exchange "I don't like to play your bullshit games", maybe it is not their first spat, maybe there is some prior history there too...
Unless this employee had an employment contract, his employer was 100% within his rights.

Would I? No idea. Some small businesses are on VERY thin margins and this one is likely 100% reliant on community good will to survive.

That meme did damage that good will.

Reactions: The Man

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
"I don't like to play your bullshit games."

Sounds like this kid has a bit of history with his manager. Just a guess though.

Cody will find a new job.

Oct 2019
Earth
I must have seen that same 'poem' graffiti on dozens of porto-potties.

Other famous ones are safety related; like "new safety rule: all turds longer than 6" must be lowered by hand"

There's gotta be more to the story for this leaving to someone's firing.

Reactions: The Man
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
The boss seems like an angry guy. Stupid reason to fire someone.