Developing story on Perry - also Cain's denouncement

Jun 2011
N/A
This is a developing story:

According to WAPO,but also according to numerous sources, Rick Perry's old hunting camp had an unofficial name that is extremely racist.

"Paint Creek, Tex. — In the early years of his political career, Rick Perry began hosting fellow lawmakers, friends and supporters at his family’s secluded West Texas hunting camp, a place known by the name painted in block letters across a large, flat rock standing upright at its gated entrance.

“N*****head,”it read.

Ranchers who once grazed cattle on the 1,070-acre parcel on the Clear Fork oft he Brazos River called it by that name well before Perry and his father, Ray, began hunting there in the early 1980s. There is no definitive account of when the rock first appeared on the property In an earlier time, the name on the rock was often given to mountains and creeks and rock outcroppings across the country. Over the years, civil rights groups and government agencies have had some success changing those and other racially offensive names that dotted the nation’s maps.

But the name of this particular parcel did not change for years after it became associated with Rick Perry, first as a private citizen, then as a state official and finally as Texas governor. Some locals still call it that. As recently as this summer, the slab like rock — lying flat, the name still faintly visible beneath a coat of white paint —remained by the gated entrance to the camp."

There is more to this story, you all should read further...

Apparently, there is enough credibility to the story that Herman Cain is hammering Perry right and left over this.

FromTPM:

Herman Cain leaped on the story in a pair of Sunday morning TV appearances after a week that showed his campaign in a new ascendancy.(He’s also going through a campaign shakeup that includes the resignation ofhis well-known communications director.)

There are some words that do not, basically, inspire the same kind of negativity as that word…the name of the place was called ‘N*****head.’ That is very insensitive,” Cain said. “Since Gov. Perry has been going there for years to hunt, I think it shows a lack of sensitivity for a long time of not taking that word off of that rock and renaming the place.” It’s just basically a case of insensitivity,” he added.

That’s just very insensitive,” Cain told Fox News Sunday. “There isn’t a more vile, negative word than the N-word and and for him to leave it there as long as he did before I hear that they finally painted over it, it’s just plain insensitive to a lot of black people in this country.”

Here is the interview Cain did on ABC over this and a number of other things. The Perry controversy comes in at 2:25 into the video:

[video=youtube;UN5W8xEUMkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN5W8xEUMkM[/video]

Huffpo is also reporting this. So is Reuters.And CBS.And MSNBC.CNN is not reporting it yet and neither is FOX.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it is a developing story, I think it is better to reserve judgement until more facts come in. Usually when something like this breaks, other details, sometimes very important details, trickle in afterwards that can change the dynamic of the story.

To be clear: in no way am I personally accusing Rick Perry of racism. Read the story, wait for more details to come in and then make a decision for yourself.

What I do find very telling, however, is the timing of the story, which first broke in the WAPO this morning at 05:32 AM, before the beginning of a Sunday news cycle, before the Sunday morning Talk shows, also allowing reporters and bloggers and pundits an entire day to absorb this stuff before the work week begins. It is also very telling that Cain has reacted very swiftly to this. In a week where Cain's stock has risen, I can imagine that this may help him a couple of percentage points for the nomination, but that is far from a done deal.

Although I have no idea who leaked this story to the press, but with all the chatter about Chris Christie as a candidate and the leap that Herman Cain has made in the polls, one could almost think that the GOP establishment itself is trying to torpedo Rick Perry. I say this for the story broke in a newspaper that is much more friendly to the GOP than it is to the Democratic Party, especially to President Obama.

In the end, the greatest benefactor of this all, imo, may be: Mitt Romney. I suspect he will have very little to say about this, if he can avoid it and just look to be above the fray. And as we see, Mitt Romney has said nothing to date about this.

Last edited:

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Yes, it sounds like a planted leak. Perry's side of the story is that his family only leased it, didn't own it, and they painted over the stone that had the name the first year it was under lease.

Jun 2011
N/A
Screen-Captures of the N'Rock controversy: II

FOX News: no coverage of the story.

CNN: no coverage of the story.

Last edited:

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Weird on CNN and FOX having no coverage ...

It's on Fox's front page now. Not a clear headline, but it says "Cain: Perry, Obama insult blacks".

It is on the politics page at Fox tho. Still not at CNN.

Jun 2011
N/A
And more related than we think: PPP is tweeting that Cain is now leading in NC and NE, that Perry is tanking in WV (!!!) and it is a three-man race in WV between Perry, Cain and Gingrich.

Here is a screen capture of the tweets. I assume that PPP will be putting out the poll results on Monday or Tuesday.

Jun 2011
N/A
Yes, it sounds like a planted leak. Perry's side of the story is that his family only leased it, didn't own it, and they painted over the stone that had the name the first year it was under lease.
That may indeed be the case. However, if one one witness comes forth with a picture that blows his story out of the water, then he is toast about this.

Like I said, I am waiting until ALL the details come in before making my own judgement about this. But this is doubtless a big breaking story in the quest for the GOP nomination.

Sep 2011
Western NY and Geneva, CH
The first glance at the story has me thinking that Perry shouldn't be President just because somebody that dumb shouldn't be within 100 miles of the White House.

Like most sensational stories, of course, as I actually read it I find it's almost entirely without substance.

Golly, it's a good thing the media has time to squeeze in non-sensical crap like this, what with all the hard work they're doing actually reporting the news -- right?