DeVos proposes fewer teachers, larger class sizes

Apr 2014
Maryland
Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I am reasonably certain Mrs. Amway knows this is viable based on her many years of experience attending public schools. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hollywood

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Edited thread title:

Previous: DeVos is an idiot

Revised: DeVos proposes fewer teachers, larger class sizes

... I also took the liberty of making the previous thread title the first line of the OP so the point wasn't lost. ;)

Nov 2018
Maryland
It all depends on the topic. Smaller class sizes are better in most instances, but if the format is mostly lectures, then large classes work.

DeVos is looking at it from an economic view point. We pour more and more money into Education, yet don't get much bang for the buck.

I don't blame teachers as much as I blame the hierarchy. Too many at the top. Principals, then Assistant Principles.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
It all depends on the topic. Smaller class sizes are better in most instances, but if the format is mostly lectures, then large classes work.

DeVos is looking at it from an economic view point. We pour more and more money into Education, yet don't get much bang for the buck.

I don't blame teachers as much as I blame the hierarchy. Too many at the top. Principals, then Assistant Principles.
You want 1st graders to go to lectures?

I blame the fact that in most cases the funding is dependent on property taxes. In wealthy communities that works just fine. For everyone else is sucks.

Reactions: HCProf and Isalexi
Nov 2018
Maryland
You want 1st graders to go to lectures?

I blame the fact that in most cases the funding is dependent on property taxes. In wealthy communities that works just fine. For everyone else is sucks.
I never said that. For younger students, lectures are not a good idea.

They key to any good education is the environment. Highly motivated teachers can inspire their students to learn, no matter how much money the school has.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
DeVos is an idiot.

I can’t believe that she is saying that we should have larger class sizes so this way we can have fewer teachers and just pay the ones that are there better salaries. Study after study shows smaller class sizes makes for a better education and she is shooting for larger classes which would be about 40 in a class. This is unbelievable
Where in the fuck did Trump find this fucking moron? It's obvious she knows little to nothing about education.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Edited thread title:

Previous: DeVos is an idiot

Revised: DeVos proposes fewer teachers, larger class sizes

... I also took the liberty of making the previous thread title the first line of the OP so the point wasn't lost. ;)
Could you add a link to the story as well so we know we aren't just discussing someone's last night's dream?

Reactions: spyydrr
Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
I never said that. For younger students, lectures are not a good idea.

They key to any good education is the environment. Highly motivated teachers can inspire their students to learn, no matter how much money the school has.
You know what motivates workers in just about all businesses, including education?
Good pay, good benefits, good working conditions and fair treatment.