Did man create the Sahara Desert?

May 2011
New Jersey, USA
Of course not despite the claims of several members to the contrary.

Sahara Desert Was Once Lush and Populated | LiveScience

A timeline of Sahara occupation [See Map]:

•22,000 to 10,500 years ago: The Sahara was devoid of any human occupation outside the Nile Valley and extended 250 miles further south than it does today.
•10,500 to 9,000 years ago: Monsoon rains begin sweeping into the Sahara, transforming the region into a habitable area swiftly settled by Nile Valley dwellers.
•9,000 to 7,300 years ago: Continued rains, vegetation growth, and animal migrations lead to well established human settlements, including the introduction of domesticated livestock such as sheep and goats.
•7,300 to 5,500 years ago: Retreating monsoonal rains initiate desiccation in the Egyptian Sahara, prompting humans to move to remaining habitable niches in Sudanese Sahara. The end of the rains and return of desert conditions throughout the Sahara after 5,500 coincides with population return to the Nile Valley and the beginning of pharaonic society.

May 2011
New Jersey, USA
No, man just made it bigger.
Sorry, I was censored in the other forum so I need to make the point here. The Sahara Desert was the result of changes in weather patterns. It had nothing to do with human activity. Now it may very well be that human activity in the recent past has led to some growth in the Sahara but human activity did not create the Sahara Desert.

Nov 2010
Sorry, I was censored in the other forum so I need to make the point here. The Sahara Desert was the result of changes in weather patterns. It had nothing to do with human activity. Now it may very well be that human activity in the recent past has led to some growth in the Sahara but human activity did not create the Sahara Desert.
you keep repeating the same thing over and over and I have time and time again proven you that man did have a role in it. Sure, it was largely due to climate changes, but the facts are human activity and overfarming and abuse of the land can speed this up and make the effects even larger. I provided you with multiple links proving that man can in fact influence desertification. This is a widely held theory in not only the Sahara, but other deserts of the world.

And in that thread, you said they had nothing to do with it. I showed that you were wrong. I didn't say it was all man's doing, and didn't deny the climate aspect of it. But the facts remain that abuse of the land can in fact aid in the desertification of land. YOu really show and amazing lack of ability to argue your point and defend it with relevant facts, logic and reasoning. If you could of done so, or even attempted do, you wouldn't be censored. All you did in that thread (I counted 5 times) is repeat the same claims without proving it. And adding this thread, its 6 times you repeated the same claim without addressing the influence man can have in desertificaiton. Pointing out a timeline of climate doesn't address or refute the effect man has on speeding up and increasing the size of deserts.

I'll just repeat the line of posts that lead to the formation of this thread that includes my links showing that man can effect desertification

Not all by itself. Over farming can contribute to a process called desertification.

CNN - Overfarming adding to world's desert wastelands - June 21, 1998

I fail to see the "more harm than good" in this case. If the only wood that could be used for guitars was the endangered wood, and the company would go under because of it, then maybe this would be more harm than good. But there are many guitar makers that don't use endangered woods, and there are plenty of types of wood that can be used. Also, without any regulations, companies would clear complete . Look what happened to the rain forest. AFter all, we need trees to live, as they are what gives the atmosphere the oxygen we breath.

In fact, without protective measures, bad things happen. The sahara desert used to be lush, and over farming contributed to it becoming a huge desert. Sure there are climate shifts also but over farming has dire consequences. Overlogging contributed to the Southwest of this country becoming a desert wasteland in places.\

The wolves example simply is used as an effect losing a species can have on the environment, and one that I knew of off the top of my head. The fact farmers don't like it because they kill lifestock, or the effects they have on population centers and potential threat to humans, it still is a valid example of the effect of removing a species on ecology.
The sahara is a desert because rain patterns shifted.
Sustainable Agriculture Pushing Back the Desert

DESERTIFICATION OF ARID LANDS

Land Degradation
Yes, all by itself. The Sahara has been a desert for thousands of years. It had zero to do with human activity.

May 2011
New Jersey, USA
you keep repeating the same thing over and over and I have time and time again proven you that man did have a role in it. Sure, it was largely due to climate changes, but the facts are human activity and overfarming and abuse of the land can speed this up and make the effects even larger. I provided you with multiple links proving that man can in fact influence desertification. This is a widely held theory in not only the Sahara, but other deserts of the world.

And in that thread, you said they had nothing to do with it. I showed that you were wrong. I didn't say it was all man's doing, and didn't deny the climate aspect of it. But the facts remain that abuse of the land can in fact aid in the desertification of land. YOu really show and amazing lack of ability to argue your point and defend it with relevant facts, logic and reasoning. If you could of done so, or even attempted do, you wouldn't be censored. All you did in that thread (I counted 5 times) is repeat the same claims without proving it. And adding this thread, its 6 times you repeated the same claim without addressing the influence man can have in desertificaiton. Pointing out a timeline of climate doesn't address or refute the effect man has on speeding up and increasing the size of deserts.

I'll just repeat the line of posts that lead to the formation of this thread that includes my links showing that man can effect desertification
Again, you claimed the Sahara was created by human sctivity. That is simply false. Instead of just admitting as much you want to argue about it. lol That's fine. I'll wait for your evidence that the Sahara would not exist were it not for human activity. That is what you claimed and you are wrong. Obviously wrong. But I'll wait for your evidence or your admission.

Nov 2010
Again, you claimed the Sahara was created by human sctivity. That is simply false. Instead of just admitting as much you want to argue about it. lol That's fine. I'll wait for your evidence that the Sahara would not exist were it not for human activity. That is what you claimed and you are wrong. Obviously wrong. But I'll wait for your evidence or your admission.
no I didn't say it was solely due to human activity. I said man contributed to it, not created it all by himself. couldn't of be any more clear about that. you are the one who said it had absolutely nothing to do with man and was solely based on climate. I proved that that statement is wrong, proved a human influence in it, and my multiple links did just that. You just repeated the same false statement over and over, and demanding proof, even though I provided it. All while providing none to proof that man had no effect on it. That is the argument, that man played a role in it. Not that is was all man's doing. Not that climate changes didn't have a lot to do with it, but that man had a role in it.

After all, the entire talk of Sahara came about because of the statement about importance of environmental regulations, since man can have a very negative impact on ecosystems by abusing the land.

But hey, just repeat the same thing over and over, demand proof that was already shown, and provide none for your position and show how disingenuous and lacking an argument you really have

May 2011
New Jersey, USA
no I didn't say it was solely due to human activity. I said man contributed to it, not created it all by himself. couldn't of be any more clear about that. you are the one who said it had absolutely nothing to do with man and was solely based on climate. I proved that that statement is wrong, proved a human influence in it, and my multiple links did just that. You just repeated the same false statement over and over, and demanding proof, even though I provided it. All while providing none to proof that man had no effect on it. That is the argument, that man played a role in it. Not that is was all man's doing. Not that climate changes didn't have a lot to do with it, but that man had a role in it.

After all, the entire talk of Sahara came about because of the statement about importance of environmental regulations, since man can have a very negative impact on ecosystems by abusing the land.

But hey, just repeat the same thing over and over, demand proof that was already shown, and provide none for your position and show how disingenuous and lacking an argument you really have
The origin of the Sahara Desert isn't in part due to climate. It is due to climate in its entirety. Will you just admit this? Man had no role whatsoever in creating the Sahara. This desert, like most if not all, formed because of changes in the climate. Secondly, you made the claim. It's your claim to supprt. I merely responded to it because I knew for a fact that it was preposterous. No Jacko to protect here. Ante up or admit your mistake.