Did Obama just interfere in Canada's internal affairs?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Not sure yet what I think of it. A Tweet seems more or less harmless, in the scheme of things. But, yeah, when election integrity is at stake... Who knows...

Mar 2012
New Hampshire

Not sure yet what I think of it. A Tweet seems more or less harmless, in the scheme of things. But, yeah, when election integrity is at stake... Who knows...
Yea it seems harmless but also possibly not a good idea considering how the media and others have accused Russia and Israel of endorsing various candidates in the US.

Jun 2014
United States

By endorsing a candidate? No. He's a private citizen now. He has as much right as does anyone else to endorse political candidates. As an ex-President, he's far less likely to endorse a US presidential candidate, but he could if he wanted to.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

Obama is a private citizen now. Not sure how Canadian election law works, but as for U.S. law, he can't be charged with influence peddling, etc.

It isn't customary, though, and I don't think it's best practices.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Yea it seems harmless but also possibly not a good idea considering how the media and others have accused Russia and Israel of endorsing various candidates in the US.
Exactly what this article argues:

Jun 2014
United States

Nobody (aside from wild-eyed fruitcakes) has ever had a problem with mere candidate endorsements. That's ridiculous.

The media had a problem with Bibi being invited to speak to Congress during an election, and Russia's illegal interference in the 2016 election hardly involved mere endorsement.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Exactly what this article argues:
Yea I was watching Canadian news last night and they were saying its possible Singh could actually pick up some seats for the NDP in Quebec. Thats a pretty big deal. This could interfere with that. Would the outcry be different if Teresa May endorsed Scheer?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Obama may be a private citizen but there's no denying the weight his opinion carries.
Can go both ways though. Hillary had a lot of celebrity endorsements but the rust belt felt that was a betrayal. She would rather be in Hollywood than with them. So that turned them off.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu

By endorsing a candidate? No. He's a private citizen now. He has as much right as does anyone else to endorse political candidates. As an ex-President, he's far less likely to endorse a US presidential candidate, but he could if he wanted to.
He would if there was a decent dem to endorse.