Did Our Taxes - Thanks Trump And Republican Majority In Congress

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Let me say that I send my wishes that you fare better than we did. I'm only happy that it wasn't worse though it is not good. For next year I suggest you have a bunch of children as that may help or that you become wealthy enough to get some of the money everyone else is paying for.
I'm sorry you aren't getting as much back as you had hoped, or any. How much do you wager you'd get back if taxes or wages were raised?

Oct 2013
USA
I'm sorry you aren't getting as much back as you had hoped, or any. How much do you wager you'd get back if taxes or wages were raised?
It really could have been worse so I'm relieved it was just worse than normal. I think that since we are barely hanging on to receiving anything back at all due to the combo of long form income, taxes can go back up for our category with no massive impact depending on deductions. There is some flex room there.

It will be interesting to see what the norm is across the country. Some will benefit, some won't so the unanswered question is what category is impacted positively and what category is negatively impacted.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
If you get a refund you are having too much taken out. I never saw the wisdom in letting the government sit on my money all year.
I wouldn't have it any other way. It's nice to have that lump sum of money to make a purchase without having to go into debt.

Reactions: Minotaur
Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Let me say that I send my wishes that you fare better than we did. I'm only happy that it wasn't worse though it is not good. For next year I suggest you have a bunch of children as that may help or that you become wealthy enough to get some of the money everyone else is paying for.
Haven't done my taxes yet. Do to life circumstances will prolly have a professional do them for me this year.

Can/would you share what particular change in the tax code caused the negative impact on your tax exposure for 2018??

....and quantify just how bad the hit on you was??

Oct 2013
USA
Haven't done my taxes yet. Do to life circumstances will prolly have a professional do them for me this year.

Can/would you share what particular change in the tax code caused the negative impact on your tax exposure for 2018??

....and quantify just how bad the hit on you was??

The change in deductions for the new tax code related to investments and wages is what caused us to receive a little less so keep that in mind as those changes can impact positively or negatively and at least for us that was the bottom line. The hit on us was half the usual return and our return is never that much because we have to do the longform tax with or without the new tax.

You may get some happy news when you do your taxes so I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. The bottom line for each of us is related to how the changes in deduction benefits or negatively impacts each of our refunds or payments. I'd say don't worry about it at this point. I'm just grateful it was not worse. I hope that is the case for everyone whether they are a little disappointed or benefit from it.

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Nov 2016
USA
Our tax advisor has put us on notice that we won’t be better off, so don’t expect me to sing trump’s/GOP’s praises.