Did the Baby Boomers Break Government?

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
[h=2]Did the Baby Boomers Break Government?[/h]CNN: "Could it be that the reason our government is broken is because of which generation is running things?"

"Authors Morley Winograd and Michael Hais think so, insisting that the problem is that power is now firmly in the hands of self-righteous baby boomers who have spent their entire lives convinced that anyone who disagrees with them is morally inferior. Boomers won't negotiate anything, Winograd and Hais say, because they think every position they hold is rooted in something no less sacred than their values, and they're understandably reluctant to negotiate their values."

Did the Baby Boomers Break Government?

Ha! Sure, I'd believe that could be part of it.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
don't know. SS exsited before there were baby boomers. medicare was enacted in the mid 60's. the boomers stand to benefit from these 2 programs they didn't create but fight tooth and nail to maintain them.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I think it's kinda unfair to blame the Boomers. What, it's our fault there are so many of us? And then some people in government didn't want to properly fund things that we paid into all our lives? I'm not saying Boomers are completely blameless in all this, but the blame can be spread around to a lot of people.

Feb 2011
The greatest place on Earth California
The trust fund that was for the SS money was raided by prior presidents to balance, or get it close, the budget. There are a shit load of IOU's in the pot but not much cash. Thank you republicans.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
The trust fund that was for the SS money was raided by prior presidents to balance, or get it close, the budget. There are a shit load of IOU's in the pot but not much cash. Thank you republicans.
no, it's thank you congress and washington.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
don't know. SS exsited before there were baby boomers. medicare was enacted in the mid 60's. the boomers stand to benefit from these 2 programs they didn't create but fight tooth and nail to maintain them.

I don't think this article is talking about finances and money. I think it's talking about the ability of gov't to funtion. As they say, "Boomers won't negotiate anything,...". Now, that is an over-generalization to be sure. But, yea, there's alot there. I'd buy it.

Jul 2011
Who Asked??
You (conveniently) forgot it was Democrats that raided the SS trust fund in the first place (LBJ)

Feb 2011
The greatest place on Earth California
You (conveniently) forgot it was Democrats that raided the SS trust fund in the first place (LBJ)
I could not get clarification on that off the internet. Can you? You do know who used SS trust funds the most?

Reactions: Babba