Dissecting the presidents Speech in full.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I would like to go over trumps speech in full to see where the truth and the lies are. paragraph by paragraph..... or more accuratly a couple paragraphs at the time. Please chime in in what you think is an outright lie, or an incorrect statement. Please refrain from personal bullshit and focus on the discussion. thank you.

The President’s Speech

PRESIDENT TRUMP: My fellow Americans, tonight I’m speaking to you because there is a growing humanitarian and security crisis at our southern border.
ADVERTISEMENT

Every day, Customs and Border Protection agents encounter thousands of illegal immigrants trying to enter our country. We are out of space to hold them, and we have no way to promptly return them back home to their country. America proudly welcomes millions of lawful immigrants who enrich our society and contribute to our nation, but all Americans are hurt by uncontrolled illegal migration.

I see no falsehoods or lies in this first paragraph, do you? in the next half hr or so I will post the next portion of the speech to see if we can find lies or misinformation.

Please discuss.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
First paragraph sounds okay to me.

I am also fine with realistic border security reforms. One thing I think could be done better, would be for our politicians to look into why there is this increase in attempted immigration as well as asylum seekers. We hear all about walls and terrorists and drugs... but not about the conditions where these folks are coming from that are so awful, its less risky to drag the family including kids hundreds of miles, through gangs, corrupt officials, and not to mention dangerous natural environments... in the off chance they can get to a place more safe.

Makes me wonder if $5B would be better spent, battling the drug lords, separatists, and/or other elements that are destabilizing so many nations south of us.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
First paragraph sounds okay to me.

I am also fine with realistic border security reforms. One thing I think could be done better, would be for our politicians to look into why there is this increase in attempted immigration as well as asylum seekers. We hear all about walls and terrorists and drugs... but not about the conditions where these folks are coming from that are so awful, its less risky to drag the family including kids hundreds of miles, through gangs, corrupt officials, and not to mention dangerous natural environments... in the off chance they can get to a place more safe.

Makes me wonder if $5B would be better spent, battling the drug lords, separatists, and/or other elements that are destabilizing so many nations south of us.
Some have said if we legalize all drugs we could save tons of money to be spent elsewhere.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Some have said if we legalize all drugs we could save tons of money to be spent elsewhere.
We will lose that money though in lost productivity, accidents, healthcare, etc... from a further drug addled populace.

Nov 2013
NY
I would like to go over trumps speech in full to see where the truth and the lies are. paragraph by paragraph..... or more accuratly a couple paragraphs at the time. Please chime in in what you think is an outright lie, or an incorrect statement. Please refrain from personal bullshit and focus on the discussion. thank you.

The President’s Speech

PRESIDENT TRUMP: My fellow Americans, tonight I’m speaking to you because there is a growing humanitarian and security crisis at our southern border.
ADVERTISEMENT

Every day, Customs and Border Protection agents encounter thousands of illegal immigrants trying to enter our country. We are out of space to hold them, and we have no way to promptly return them back home to their country. America proudly welcomes millions of lawful immigrants who enrich our society and contribute to our nation, but all Americans are hurt by uncontrolled illegal migration.

I see no falsehoods or lies in this first paragraph, do you? in the next half hr or so I will post the next portion of the speech to see if we can find lies or misinformation.

Please discuss.
If ( and I don't know the numbers to confirm or rebut) the facts in the statement's opening are true, than it is still not a crisis, or a difference from previous years, and therefore does not justify a national televised address.
It is a collection of non-topical facts, which don't constitute a crisis or anything newsworthy ( if it's the same as always, it's not "news")

Nov 2010
It's been a crisis for 40 years because politicians have used it to get compete idiots to blame somebody else while they destroy the country and give it away to the ultra wealthy.This country deserves to go down the tubes with the amount of absolute assholes we have in this country

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
fact checking the president's speech:

I
llegal drugs
"Our Southern border is a pipeline for vast quantities of illegal drugs. ... My administration has presented Congress with a detailed proposal to secure the border and stop the criminal gangs, drug smugglers and human traffickers. It's a tremendous problem."

Fact check: According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, most illegal drugs imported to the U.S. from Mexico are smuggled through legal ports of entry. Only a small fraction comes through parts of the border that would be covered by a wall.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва

hmmmm....

Drug Trafficking Across Borders

Data on drug seizures at the U.S. border indicate an alarming volume of trafficking taking place in recent years. Since 2009, heroin seizures at the southwestern border have almost tripled, while meth seizuresquintupled through 2014. Worse yet, cocaine and marijuana remain two of the most commonly seized drugs along our southern borders, equating to millions of pounds seized by U.S. Border Patrol.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
It's been a crisis for 40 years because politicians have used it to get compete idiots to blame somebody else while they destroy the country and give it away to the ultra wealthy.This country deserves to go down the tubes with the amount of absolute assholes we have in this country

Please don't derail my thread. if you would like to troll do it in another thread.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
If ( and I don't know the numbers to confirm or rebut) the facts in the statement's opening are true, than it is still not a crisis, or a difference from previous years, and therefore does not justify a national televised address.
It is a collection of non-topical facts, which don't constitute a crisis or anything newsworthy ( if it's the same as always, it's not "news")

ok, so you don't have evidence that it is not true. therefore you must concede this opening paragraphs are true. agree?