Dissecting the presidents Speech in full.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
I have gov contracts and yes they can be lucrative, that one however doesn't pass the smell test. It could be true. but I would love to see that breakdown.
I would too. I think we will, eventually, but by then we'll be on to the next big controversy and separating children at the border will fade into history.

Jul 2011
NYC
Only exaggerations.

Did I say I caught a 25 pound trout yesterday? That's not a lie, as I actually went fishing and caught a trout.

Well, it may be a bit of an exaggeration though.

The exagerations I speak of isn't of that kind. for example a crisis at the border to me is an exageration, but that's a matter of opinion so I don't agree that would be a lie.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
The exagerations I speak of isn't of that kind. for example a crisis at the border to me is an exageration, but that's a matter of opinion so I don't agree that would be a lie.
I think you've made your point.

While Trump's opinions are difficult to support, there isn't anything that can be pointed at to say it was a blatant lie. Some of his statements are exaggerations. One can imply that he thinks the wall will solve the problem of smuggling and illegal entry to the USA, but he doesn't actually come out and say that directly. He says that "thousands" of Americans have been murdered by illegals, a step down from his earlier number of 63,000, which can't be supported. While crime in the immigrant community is lower than crime overall, there are a lot of murders in the US, so it is possible that thousands have been murdered. He implies, but does not actually say, that a wall will keep people from crossing illegally, this despite the fact that only a fraction of illegals sneak across the border where there are no barriers.

His speech was very cleverly written to play to people's emotions without actually making any factual falsehoods that can be proven and held up to say, "Look, the president is lying again." Kudos to his speech writer and his ability to read from a teleprompter.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Only exaggerations.

Did I say I caught a 25 pound trout yesterday? That's not a lie, as I actually went fishing and caught a trout.

Well, it may be a bit of an exaggeration though.
No. I'd call that one a lie.

But if you said you went fishing and caught a YUGE Trout. But in fact it was just a healthy 4 pounder....that wouldn't actually be a lie. Just a subjective exaggeration.

With any politician we need to scrutinize their speech for weasel words and hyperbole. Because the practice is standard. Unfortunately with The Donald we need to set our bs detectors to HIGH...because he is particularly loose with the truth.

Jul 2017
U.S.A.
WE disagree then. I think it's a but alarmist but we do have a very real issue at the border.
Not really.
It's about a campaign promise to racist rednecks.
It's Trump's desperate attempt to to satisfy those dumb asses.
He thinks they'll vote him in, in 2020, but little does he know, criminals aren't eligible for the oval office.
Maybe he can be in charge of laundry duty at a Federal Prison...

Jul 2011
NYC
Not really.
It's about a campaign promise to racist rednecks.
It's Trump's desperate attempt to to satisfy those dumb asses.
He thinks they'll vote him in, in 2020, but little does he know, criminals aren't eligible for the oval office.
Maybe he can be in charge of laundry duty at a Federal Prison...

so when Obama called it a crisis at the border, was he lying as well?

Jul 2011
NYC
Lets move on.

Senator Chuck Schumer, who you will be hearing from later tonight, has repeatedly supported a physical barrier in the past along with many other Democrats. They changed their mind only after I was elected president.
Democrats in Congress have refused to acknowledge the crisis and they have refused to provide our brave border agents with the tools they desperately need to protect our families and our nation.

The federal government remains shut down for one reason, and one reason only, because Democrats will not fund border security. My administration is doing everything in our power to help those impacted by the situation, but the only solution is for Democrats to pass a spending bill that defends our borders and reopens the government.
This situation could be solved in a 45 minute meeting. I have invited congressional leadership to the White House tomorrow to get this done. Hopefully we can rise above partisan politics in order to support national security.

Lies here? anyone?

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Lets move on.

Senator Chuck Schumer, who you will be hearing from later tonight, has repeatedly supported a physical barrier in the past along with many other Democrats. They changed their mind only after I was elected president.
Democrats in Congress have refused to acknowledge the crisis and they have refused to provide our brave border agents with the tools they desperately need to protect our families and our nation.

The federal government remains shut down for one reason, and one reason only, because Democrats will not fund border security. My administration is doing everything in our power to help those impacted by the situation, but the only solution is for Democrats to pass a spending bill that defends our borders and reopens the government.
This situation could be solved in a 45 minute meeting. I have invited congressional leadership to the White House tomorrow to get this done. Hopefully we can rise above partisan politics in order to support national security.

Lies here? anyone?
You know a 5-second google search is easy to do right?

Trump is right to suggest that at several points Schumer has backed the idea of a wall.

As recently as January 2018, Trump and Schumer appeared to have an agreement for permanent protections for some young undocumented immigrants (DACA) in exchange for border security, including the wall. But those negotiations eventually fell apart.

Democrats have voted for a physical barrier in the past, but it was far different than what he is asking for today.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 called for the construction of 700 miles of fencing along the southern border, including enhanced surveillance technology, satellites, radar coverage and cameras. The barrier was far less ambitious than the "big, beautiful" concrete wall Trump promised voters. The legislation was part of the Bush administration's broader strategy for comprehensive immigration reform. And while the bill itself called for the construction of border "fencing," it also included a multi-faceted approach at securing the border.

The final vote in the Senate was 80-19. Twenty-six Democrats voted in favor of the bill, including Schumer, the current Democractic leader.

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...-speech-government-shutdown/story?id=60237503

And why didn't the GOP fund his stupid wall when they had total control of the Congress for 2 years??

As far as the Jan, 2018 bill that fell apart - again, that was on Trump - anyone remember the "Bill of Great Love"? Which is odd, because HE is the one who ended the DACA program.

Jul 2011
NYC
You know a 5-second google search is easy to do right?

Trump is right to suggest that at several points Schumer has backed the idea of a wall.

As recently as January 2018, Trump and Schumer appeared to have an agreement for permanent protections for some young undocumented immigrants (DACA) in exchange for border security, including the wall. But those negotiations eventually fell apart.

Democrats have voted for a physical barrier in the past, but it was far different than what he is asking for today.

The Secure Fence Act of 2006 called for the construction of 700 miles of fencing along the southern border, including enhanced surveillance technology, satellites, radar coverage and cameras. The barrier was far less ambitious than the "big, beautiful" concrete wall Trump promised voters. The legislation was part of the Bush administration's broader strategy for comprehensive immigration reform. And while the bill itself called for the construction of border "fencing," it also included a multi-faceted approach at securing the border.

The final vote in the Senate was 80-19. Twenty-six Democrats voted in favor of the bill, including Schumer, the current Democractic leader.

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...-speech-government-shutdown/story?id=60237503

And why didn't the GOP fund his stupid wall when they had total control of the Congress for 2 years??

As far as the Jan, 2018 bill that fell apart - again, that was on Trump - anyone remember the "Bill of Great Love"? Which is odd, because HE is the one who ended the DACA program.

So the answer is yes, as per the speech the democrats did support a physical barrier. So no lie..... The speech did not claim "big beutiful concrete wall" it states they supported a physical barrier.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
So the answer is yes, as per the speech the democrats did support a physical barrier. So no lie..... The speech did not claim "big beutiful concrete wall" it states they supported a physical barrier.

Reading comprehension problems again??

The barrier was far less ambitious than the "big, beautiful" concrete wall Trump promised voters.

And while the bill itself called for the construction of border "fencing," it also included a multi-faceted approach at securing the border.

Again, they had total control of Congress for two years. So why did they not pass a "wall" bill back then?

Can you answer that one for me?