Do people with big noses who want small noses have a mental illness?

Is nose-changing a disorder?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • What a silly freakin' question!

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Apr 2015
Mid ATL
Lots of people are unhappy with their noses. They are too big, too wide, stick out to far, don't turn up at just the right angle or maybe their nostrils are too big to suit them. And they get elective plastic surgery, which brutalizes their faces. Should such people be told "No, you can't transition to a different size or shape of nose. You have the nose you have because of your genes. You have your father's/mother's/grandparents' nose. Be proud of it! If you want to change your nose, there's something wrong with you and you need therapy--not to change your nose but to help you reconcile yourself to the nose you have.

So...are people who want to change their noses mentally ill?

P.S. I can make separate threads on breasts, tummies, derrieres, hair color, eye color (there are contacts for that), or skin color (bleaching creams were once popular with African-American women) if you like.
No.
People who wish to change their nose length, width, fix a bump etc. all are wishing to make it look more closer to normal. Playing away towards the extremes and more towards the average is certainly not any kind of mental illness.

Nov 2016
USA
I have a small nose, and have never felt unhappy with it.

As for surgery, a friend of mine had to have reconstructive surgery on her nose after her (now ex) husband gave her a knuckle sandwich and broke it. That heralded the end of that nightmare marriage.

Anyway, she’s Jewish and had what one might call a “Semitic” nose. She didn’t like it, so when she had the surgery, she chose a nose shape more to her liking.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
No.
People who wish to change their nose length, width, fix a bump etc. all are wishing to make it look more closer to normal. Playing away towards the extremes and more towards the average is certainly not any kind of mental illness.
I wasn't planning to reply to this thread, but I have to here. "Normal?" What kind of bullshit is that? What's "normal" nose? If it exists on a human being, a nose is "normal."

What you're really saying is that they want their noses to be more attractive, which in American culture means more like the noses of White Anglo-Saxons. Ideal notions of beauty vary widely among human populations and have a great deal to do with averages throughout the population and (in some cases) the differentiated appearance of people in positions of prestige. The term "normal" doesn't even make sense in this case, and I fear is reveals a prejudice in you of which you are not aware.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I have a small nose, and have never felt unhappy with it.

As for surgery, a friend of mine had to have reconstructive surgery on her nose after her (now ex) husband gave her a knuckle sandwich and broke it. That heralded the end of that nightmare marriage.

Anyway, she’s Jewish and had what one might call a “Semitic” nose. She didn’t like it, so when she had the surgery, she chose a nose shape more to her liking.
It's sad that anyone, of any ethnicity, should consider themselves less than attractive based on a feature that identifies them with their ancestors. It's a kind of self-hating bigotry.

(BTW, people with small ones rarely feel unhappy about them, precisely because Anglo-Saxon notions of beauty include smaller, thinner noses.)

Apr 2015
Mid ATL
I wasn't planning to reply to this thread, but I have to here. "Normal?" What kind of bullshit is that? What's "normal" nose? If it exists on a human being, a nose is "normal."

What you're really saying is that they want their noses to be more attractive, which in American culture means more like the noses of White Anglo-Saxons. Ideal notions of beauty vary widely among human populations and have a great deal to do with averages throughout the population and (in some cases) the differentiated appearance of people in positions of prestige. The term "normal" doesn't even make sense in this case, and I fear is reveals a prejudice in you of which you are not aware.
I ahven't had any such work and never will. I guess you'd have to ask them.
However, my guess is that people with abnormal features get the surgery to look more like the average and move closer to it.
Then there are the freaks who wish to look wildly different than the norm, most of us consider them crackpots.
I'm not emotionally involved in this response like you are, so maybe my opinion is more objective though.

CtC

Mar 2019
California
Lots of people are unhappy with their noses. They are too big, too wide, stick out to far, don't turn up at just the right angle or maybe their nostrils are too big to suit them. And they get elective plastic surgery, which brutalizes their faces. Should such people be told "No, you can't transition to a different size or shape of nose. You have the nose you have because of your genes. You have your father's/mother's/grandparents' nose. Be proud of it! If you want to change your nose, there's something wrong with you and you need therapy--not to change your nose but to help you reconcile yourself to the nose you have.

So...are people who want to change their noses mentally ill?

P.S. I can make separate threads on breasts, tummies, derrieres, hair color, eye color (there are contacts for that), or skin color (bleaching creams were once popular with African-American women) if you like.
Michael Jackson had about 15 surgeries. Facial. I would say he was obsessive compulsive. Thing is, he looked good as a kid. And as a young adult. When he was older,he looked like an alien from Zoltar. Surgery is NOT the answer unless it is for real medical reasons.