Do people with big noses who want small noses have a mental illness?

Is nose-changing a disorder?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • What a silly freakin' question!

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Who knows?

Get it? Knows = nose. I'll uh...I'll show myself out.

Apr 2019
down on Rue Morgue Avenue
Lots of people are unhappy with their noses. They are too big, too wide, stick out to far....

I get the deconstructionist wit here. bravo to you.

In answer to your question, I would say "maybe" if done to the extreme, where their nose defined them as a person and could never be made perfect enough.

additionally I would say "maybe" if the nose produced hormones that affected all else in the person's body and brain. because then you are not only dealing with the nose, but all that the nose affects. one is then not unhappy with just their nose but they are unhappy with their very identity.

but what do I know. I'm a male with a female avatar.

Reactions: orangecat

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I ahven't had any such work and never will. I guess you'd have to ask them.
However, my guess is that people with abnormal features get the surgery to look more like the average and move closer to it.
Then there are the freaks who wish to look wildly different than the norm, most of us consider them crackpots.
I'm not emotionally involved in this response like you are, so maybe my opinion is more objective though.
This isn't about emotion an emotional investment on my part. I started this thread to make light of another thread about a different sort of surgery.

The OP is pretty clearly speaking not about surgery to repair a deformity but elective surgery to change the shape of someone's nose. I don't have an idea what you mean by "abnormal" or even "average." Noses are quite different across different groups of humans, so "average" is quite different in different places.

You chose to respond but you haven't dealt with the substance of the post you're responding to. You've decided instead to 1) introduce issues that are clearly not indicated by the OP and 2) accused me of being "emotionally involved."

You should either deal with the substance of what I said or stay silent.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
I get the deconstructionist wit here. bravo to you.

In answer to your question, I would say "maybe" if done to the extreme, where their nose defined them as a person and could never be made perfect enough.

additionally I would say "maybe" if the nose produced hormones that affected all else in the person's body and brain. because then you are not only dealing with the nose, but all that the nose affects. one is then not unhappy with just their nose but they are unhappy with their very identity.
I think you're right. Identity is the key to both this question and the one I was "deconstructing."

but what do I know. I'm a male with a female avatar.
Bravo. Me too.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Michael Jackson had about 15 surgeries. Facial. I would say he was obsessive compulsive. Thing is, he looked good as a kid. And as a young adult. When he was older,he looked like an alien from Zoltar. Surgery is NOT the answer unless it is for real medical reasons.
Yeah...not sure why Michael Jackson is relevant to this thread. He's one rather extreme example, and his nose was the least of his issues.

Jan 2014
California
This isn't about emotion an emotional investment on my part. I started this thread to make light of another thread about a different sort of surgery.

The OP is pretty clearly speaking not about surgery to repair a deformity but elective surgery to change the shape of someone's nose. I don't have an idea what you mean by "abnormal" or even "average." Noses are quite different across different groups of humans, so "average" is quite different in different places.

You chose to respond but you haven't dealt with the substance of the post you're responding to. You've decided instead to 1) introduce issues that are clearly not indicated by the OP and 2) accused me of being "emotionally involved."

Mr. Rasselas,

Isn't that like comparing a hangnail removal to open heart surgery and saying they are equivalent?

Apr 2015
Mid ATL

Good idea. Bye.
You don’t seem mature enough to discuss any nuance, just waiting for someone to parrot what you already believe. Pretty soon that may be all that bothers to respond to you. Cheers!

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Mr. Rasselas,

Isn't that like comparing a hangnail removal to open heart surgery and saying they are equivalent?
No. Both of the things I'm comparing are vital parts of the anatomy, though we could do without them. I don't think they are that inequivalent.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
No. Both of the things I'm comparing are vital parts of the anatomy, though we could do without them. I don't think they are that inequivalent.
A person who makes references to the "abnormal" in reference to ordinary, functioning human organs thinks *I* don't do nuance?

Jan 2014
California
Mr. Rasselas,

Sorry, no. One is minor surgery, often out patient, whereas the other is lopping off your wang to pretend you are something you are not.