Do people with big noses who want small noses have a mental illness?

Is nose-changing a disorder?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • What a silly freakin' question!

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Jan 2016
Colorado
I don't mind my nose, I just don't like snot.

I once had a cold that seemed to produce an ENDLESS supply of snot. I wondered, seriously, where it could ALL be coming from. It seemed like my nose produced a volume of snot in two days that was greater than the total volume of my body, and I just did NOT understand how that could even be possible.

Jan 2016
Colorado
It's sad that anyone, of any ethnicity, should consider themselves less than attractive based on a feature that identifies them with their ancestors. It's a kind of self-hating bigotry.

(BTW, people with small ones rarely feel unhappy about them, precisely because Anglo-Saxon notions of beauty include smaller, thinner noses.)
There's some commercial out there------I don't even remember what it is a commercial FOR------that features a young man with an unusually LARGE schnozz. And he seems quite PROUD of it, and indeed it makes him look very distinctive, and the young women around him seem to find it very attractive, too.......I wonder if anyone else here knows the commercial I am talking about and can link to it.....

Mar 2019
sinromcall09
Lots of people are unhappy with their noses. They are too big, too wide, stick out to far, don't turn up at just the right angle or maybe their nostrils are too big to suit them. And they get elective plastic surgery, which brutalizes their faces. Should such people be told "No, you can't transition to a different size or shape of nose. You have the nose you have because of your genes. You have your father's/mother's/grandparents' nose. Be proud of it! If you want to change your nose, there's something wrong with you and you need therapy--not to change your nose but to help you reconcile yourself to the nose you have.

So...are people who want to change their noses mentally ill?

P.S. I can make separate threads on breasts, tummies, derrieres, hair color, eye color (there are contacts for that), or skin color (bleaching creams were once popular with African-American women) if you like.
Most of these people end up looking worse! Pig noses are almost inevitable!

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
This isn't about emotion an emotional investment on my part. I started this thread to make light of another thread about a different sort of surgery.

The OP is pretty clearly speaking not about surgery to repair a deformity but elective surgery to change the shape of someone's nose. I don't have an idea what you mean by "abnormal" or even "average." Noses are quite different across different groups of humans, so "average" is quite different in different places.

You chose to respond but you haven't dealt with the substance of the post you're responding to. You've decided instead to 1) introduce issues that are clearly not indicated by the OP and 2) accused me of being "emotionally involved."

You should either deal with the substance of what I said or stay silent.

Anyone who is willing to undergo the cost and pain of surgery just to have a nose that looks a little different is somewhat unbalanced IMO. But, if that's what they want to do, then so be it.

If a person is really a female in a male body, and can't live with what nature gave them, then let them get an operation as well. I can sort of understand being a transgender, as I myself am a transager.

That's right, a transager: A young man in an old man's body. I can hardly wait for the operation to set that aright.

Feb 2015
sadness
Lots of people are unhappy with their noses. They are too big, too wide, stick out to far, don't turn up at just the right angle or maybe their nostrils are too big to suit them. And they get elective plastic surgery, which brutalizes their faces. Should such people be told "No, you can't transition to a different size or shape of nose. You have the nose you have because of your genes. You have your father's/mother's/grandparents' nose. Be proud of it! If you want to change your nose, there's something wrong with you and you need therapy--not to change your nose but to help you reconcile yourself to the nose you have.

P.S. I can make separate threads on breasts, tummies, derrieres, hair color, eye color (there are contacts for that), or skin color (bleaching creams were once popular with African-American women) if you like.
it depends.

general elective plastic surgery is fine...so long as you pay for it yourself.

now... if a female wants her boobs removed because she think she is a man... and insurgence pays for it. That is a mental illness.

I want my boobs reduced.... but i have to pay for it. Insurance will not cover elective plastic surgery. That is not a mental illness.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado

Nobody nose.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I am all for subsidizing breast augmentation.
MANY women have successfully financed their breast augmentation surgeries via Go Fund Me accounts.

I guess people are generally sympathetic to women who want bigger tits.

I think that's an interesting facet of human psychology, in and of itself.

Would people be as willing to pay for penile enlargement surgery for some guy with low self-esteem? I wonder!