do racist people know they're racist?

Nov 2006
Please quote him saying "all".

A fair number of them come here with bad intent, the prison population numbers, are ample evidence.
They are ample evidence that immigrants, legal or otherwise, are far less likely to commit crimes. Basically if we let them all in the crime rate would go down not up. That is simple fact. I would contend that those arguing otherwise in the face of those facts are probably racists.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
No. it's not that simple. If you think bad things about other people because of the color of their skin, you are probably a racist. If you automatically think that other people are RACISTS you might be a racist.
The only time I "automatically" think someone is racist is when they say or do something racist.

Apr 2014
Maryland
apology in advance. But, I forget what class you teach.
Good info.

Every really shouts "bitch"?

Also, "acknowledge prejudice" seems to have undergone and paradigm shift since Trump took office. Where certain things are now considered acceptable that weren't before.
I created a curriculum in New York City on prejudice awareness. I did it with students in middle school and high schools as well as teachers workshops. Recently I did a high ... they hold signs whether they agree a little a lot or disagree a little or a lot to statements. This statement was “gay people should be allowed to marry” and without a second hesitation they all turned over “agree strongly” when I started this 25 years ago it was mostly disagree.
I think you are asking if everybody shouted bitch? Absolutely because that’s an accepted word..an unacknowledged prejudice. It is the only pejorative that is used by the group and allows others to use it

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Not really... If you feel that you are better than other people for no other reason than the color of your (and their) skin, you are a racist. It's actually that simple :)
I think I'm agreeing with PE that it's not really that simple.

If you believe that people of <insert race here> are just fundamentally different to your people, and that the two races should not mix because of their different natures, isn't that racist? But that doesn't necessarily mean you think you're better than them. Maybe you live in terror of the impending yellow peril because those Asians are all really good at maths and know the ancient ways of the honourable ancestors. That sounds a pretty racist outlook to me; but doesn't require a sense of superiority on your part - your fear of the other may well stem from a concern that you may be the inferior race.

I don't think we really agree on a definition of racism; so the answer to the OP's question is probably 'depends'. There are certainly people who I might think of as racist, who don't consider themselves racist, because they define racism in different ways.

Jan 2019
USA
They are ample evidence that immigrants, legal or otherwise, are far less likely to commit crimes. Basically if we let them all in the crime rate would go down not up. That is simple fact. I would contend that those arguing otherwise in the face of those facts are probably racists.
That is a common lie. The Gov does not keep track of violent crime by illegals. Please cite some DOJ or FBI stats.

I hear this debunked lie reposted all over lib land. Go ahead and prove it with Gov. stats.

You calling lies "facts" and calling anyone who throws the BS flag "racist" is pathetic.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
That is a common lie. The Gov does not keep track of violent crime by illegals. Please cite some DOJ or FBI stats.

I hear this debunked lie reposted all over lib land. Go ahead and prove it with Gov. stats.

You calling lies "facts" and calling anyone who throws the BS flag "racist" is pathetic.
LOL - how did you "debunk" it - with links to either far-right anti-immigration (CIS and FAIR) groups or wacko sites like Zero Hedge fund?

Meanwhile from a liberation source

I recently received new data from Texas on the number of convictions by crime and immigration status as well as the number of individuals convicted (they are slightly different). This Texas data is the best data that we have on the commission of murder by immigrants by specific legal status. In 2016, 746 native-born Texans, 32 illegal immigrants, and 28 legal immigrants were convicted of homicide. In that year, the homicide conviction rate for native-born Americans is Texas was 3.2 per 100,000 natives while it was 1.8 per 100,000 illegal immigrants and 0.9 per 100,000 legal immigrants (Figure 1). The illegal immigrant conviction rate for homicide was 44 percent below that of native-born Americans in 2016 in Texas.

The Texas homicide conviction rates are consistent with the peer-reviewed evidenceon immigrant conviction rates over the last century. Even Mark Krikorian, the executive director of the nativist Center for Immigration Studies, admits that “A lot of data does suggest immigrants are less likely to be involved in crime.”

The Murder of Mollie Tibbetts and Illegal Immigrant Crime: The Facts

Jul 2015
Florida
there's this old saying about crazy people. It contends that if they can ask themselves if they are insane then they aren't insane. I don't know if that's true. Doesn't seem like it.

But, what about racist? Do they know that they're racist? That's a loaded question. First of all, who gets to decide if they're racist? We need a working definition just for the sake of the discussion. If they believe in the superiority of one race over another. Short and simple. Right?

But then, we start to get into when that definition applies.

Let's say, for instance, they believe that certain abilities appear to come more naturally to people of a particular race. Say, math, or sports, or , I don't know, being good at certain jobs. Racist or no? Certain sports are dominated by African American's. Is it racist to presume that African American's are , therefore, superior in those sports?

Then, there's institutional racism. For the sake of discussion, let's define that as well.

http://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/institutionalracism.pdf

So then, say a person believes that there is no institutional racism and/or that things are just fine the way they are? Say, in fact, that they believe that civil rights, Affirmative Action, laws against racial discrimination, are all a means by which people of color gain an unfair societal advantage over whites. Racist or not?

Turns out the premise question is a lot more complicated than when we first began.

So, let's try to simplify it a bit.

Do members of racist groups like , say, the KKK, or the New Black Pathers, think they're racist?

Generally speaking , they don't tend to believe their believes at at all racist. I think that's safe to say.

Well now, that just way too simple.

Let's turn, then, to that elusive "average American".

Let's say it's a guy named "Russ". Average.

Russ is watching television and he sees a advertisement for , oh I don't know, a Mexican restaurant.
In response he makes a crack about how many "illegals" must work there.

See what I did there?

The term "illegals" is used a lot by people who aren't necessarily racist.

Racist or not?

I could give a few more examples or expand on the premise. But, I'd like to stop now and get your thoughts.
MOST racists, ironically the most intractable or virulent racists don't have a clue. Many don't want to know. But there is a segment of them that know it and wear it as a badge of honor. They've come out the woodwork since NOV 2016!! There are some that don't mean to be, don't understand that they are and you can get through to them. I have no idea what percentage they are.

Jul 2015
Florida

There is more evidence that they WOULD keep statistics on them. Remember, once they are 'arraigned' they go into databases all up and down the justice systems--local, state, federal. It would be implausible that the stats aren't out there!!!

Jan 2019
USA
LOL - how did you "debunk" it - with links to either far-right anti-immigration (CIS and FAIR) groups or wacko sites like Zero Hedge fund?

Meanwhile from a liberation source

I recently received new data from Texas on the number of convictions by crime and immigration status as well as the number of individuals convicted (they are slightly different). This Texas data is the best data that we have on the commission of murder by immigrants by specific legal status. In 2016, 746 native-born Texans, 32 illegal immigrants, and 28 legal immigrants were convicted of homicide. In that year, the homicide conviction rate for native-born Americans is Texas was 3.2 per 100,000 natives while it was 1.8 per 100,000 illegal immigrants and 0.9 per 100,000 legal immigrants (Figure 1). The illegal immigrant conviction rate for homicide was 44 percent below that of native-born Americans in 2016 in Texas.

The Texas homicide conviction rates are consistent with the peer-reviewed evidenceon immigrant conviction rates over the last century. Even Mark Krikorian, the executive director of the nativist Center for Immigration Studies, admits that “A lot of data does suggest immigrants are less likely to be involved in crime.”

The Murder of Mollie Tibbetts and Illegal Immigrant Crime: The Facts
Give us some FBI and DOJ stats, oh...that's right, you cant because they don't exist. Go blow that smoke up some gullible morons ass.