do racist people know they're racist?

Jan 2019
USA
There is more evidence that they WOULD keep statistics on them. Remember, once they are 'arraigned' they go into databases all up and down the justice systems--local, state, federal. It would be implausible that the stats aren't out there!!!
The numbers are cooked by agenda driven orgs. Ask yourself why official data is not available. And why are they such a large part of the prison population? What the Media Won’t Tell You About Illegal Immigration and Criminal Activity

According to a recent Associated Press article, “multiple studies have concluded that immigrants are less likely to commit crime than native-born U.S. citizens.” But the issue isn’t non-citizens who are in this country legally, and who must abide by the law to avoid having their visas revoked or their application for citizenship refused. The real issue is the crimes committed by illegal aliens. And in that context, the claim is quite misleading, because the “multiple studies” on crimes committed by “immigrants” — including a 2014 study by a professor from the University of Massachusetts, which is the only one cited in the article — combine the crime rates of both citizens and non-citizens, legal and illegal.
When it comes to self-reporting criminal activity, some respondents will, no doubt, exaggerate. Others will flat out lie. Furthermore, many respondents will likely not disclose if they are a non-citizen out of fear of discovery and deportation.
These claims overlook disturbing actual data on crimes committed by criminal aliens. For example, the Government Accountability Office released two unsettling reports in 2005 on criminal aliens who are in prison for committing crimes in the United States, and issued an updated report in 2011.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
there's this old saying about crazy people. It contends that if they can ask themselves if they are insane then they aren't insane. I don't know if that's true. Doesn't seem like it.

But, what about racist? Do they know that they're racist? That's a loaded question. First of all, who gets to decide if they're racist? We need a working definition just for the sake of the discussion. If they believe in the superiority of one race over another. Short and simple. Right?

But then, we start to get into when that definition applies.

Let's say, for instance, they believe that certain abilities appear to come more naturally to people of a particular race. Say, math, or sports, or , I don't know, being good at certain jobs. Racist or no? Certain sports are dominated by African American's. Is it racist to presume that African American's are , therefore, superior in those sports?

Then, there's institutional racism. For the sake of discussion, let's define that as well.

http://www.racialequitytools.org/resourcefiles/institutionalracism.pdf

So then, say a person believes that there is no institutional racism and/or that things are just fine the way they are? Say, in fact, that they believe that civil rights, Affirmative Action, laws against racial discrimination, are all a means by which people of color gain an unfair societal advantage over whites. Racist or not?

Turns out the premise question is a lot more complicated than when we first began.

So, let's try to simplify it a bit.

Do members of racist groups like , say, the KKK, or the New Black Pathers, think they're racist?

Generally speaking , they don't tend to believe their believes at at all racist. I think that's safe to say.

Well now, that just way too simple.

Let's turn, then, to that elusive "average American".

Let's say it's a guy named "Russ". Average.

Russ is watching television and he sees a advertisement for , oh I don't know, a Mexican restaurant.
In response he makes a crack about how many "illegals" must work there.

See what I did there?

The term "illegals" is used a lot by people who aren't necessarily racist.

Racist or not?

I could give a few more examples or expand on the premise. But, I'd like to stop now and get your thoughts.

I haven't read forward on this thread yet, but I'm sure there will be many responses that get racism backwards. You'll probably be called a racist for this OP, too.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
You post the stupidest shit when you can't think of anything worthwhile (which is quite often, I've noticed).
Stupid?!

More like spot on! ...and all the more obvious by your beta butthurt.

Like many of the reactionaries here, you're idea of racism is a black person saying cops profile them.

Apr 2018
oregon
Stupid?!

More like spot on! ...and all the more obvious by your beta butthurt.

Like many of the reactionaries here, you're idea of racism is a black person saying cops profile them.
Again, stupid comment long on conjecture and short on intellect. Are you feeling okay today, bruce?

Jan 2019
Batmania
Humans have a tendency to "in group" preference.
Racism is using the skin colour to determine who you should give "in group" preference to.
I think we can all agree that doing so is both illogical and hurtful (to both the receiver and doer).

However we are now much more likely to prejudge people based on their political ideas.
We simply presume ill will and evil because they hold a differing political idea.
We jump to wild assumptions about people because they are in differing political group.
We back people on "our" and denigrate people on "their" side.
Our team just makes an honest mistake, their side always commits unforgivable actions.

Prejudice in humans is like acne in a teenager, we clean up one area and at breaks out somewhere else.
Political bigotry is no less bigotry then racial bigotry.