Do you consider pro wresters as athletes?

Do you consider pro wrestlers athletes?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

• Yes, but not at the same level as those in real sports

• Not sure

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

MajikMyst

Former Staff
Mar 2010
Seattle Wa.
Pro wrestling to me is nothing more than hollywood entertainment.. They are no different than a stunt man.. Do I consider them athletes?? At one time they were.. When wrestling was still a sport.. Today?? It is a made for TV entertainment spectacle.. I mean really?? How many pay for view things do they have??

List of WWE pay-per-view events - Pro Wrestling Wiki - Divas, Knockouts, Results, Match histories, Titles, and more!

So much for a world Series or a Super Bowl which only come once a year..

Todays wrestling is no sport and therefore they are not athletes..

Oct 2010
USA
Wrestlemania is the superbowl of wrestling. And WWE does not represent all wrestling. There is one promotion, called Ring of Honor, which focuses on athletics and in ring action whether than drama.

And Karl Malone says they are athletes. Fast forward to about 0:38

[video=youtube;7krGOTnhlzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7krGOTnhlzs&feature=related[/video]

MajikMyst

Former Staff
Mar 2010
Seattle Wa.
I never said pro wrestling wasn't dangerous.. But that doesn't make them athletes.. Coal mining is a dangerous job, are the miners athletes??

The issue I have is that wrestling is no longer a sport.. It is made for TV entertainment.. There is are no rules.. The ref's are blind as a bat.. How many times have you seen someone lose due to cheating?? Why aren't those cheater disqualified?? How many times have you seen the so called champion keep his title due to cheating?? There is no regulating body like the NBA, NFL, or MLB.. No the WWE is not a regulating body.. They are the promoters and they are making a profit.. I used to watch Raw all the time.. But damn it became more like a soap opera than a sport.. And even in your video.. It was said they have to act hurt.. I can't understand how something so fake can be considered a sport.. Since it is not a sport, they are not athletes.. They are just like anyone other worker doing a dangerous job.. They are actors and stunt men.. But not athletes..

Sure, you can say that what they do requires athletic ability.. Not to mention a bunch of steroids.. But there are a lot of jobs that require athletic ability.. That doesn't make them athletes..

I would like to see actual brackets in pro wrestling.. It is absurd that they allow some loud mouth scream into a mic and suddenly he gets a title shot.. That is not how a sport works.. You have to earn your shot, by beating other people and showing your worth.. I would like to see actual rules and regulations enforced.. Tag teams are horrible.. How many times have you seen the ref distracted by one player, only to have the other player choking or being the shit out of their apponent.. They need to have an in ring ref and an outside ring ref.. Maybe even two of those.. They need to keep some structure.. Again, this doesn't make for good entertainment or ratings..

At least in my book, in order for them to be considered athletes, they need to be participating in a viable sport.. Wrestling is more of a soap opera than a sport.. Who slept with who, who's head got shaved, ect. ect. It has to be a regulated and viable sport for them to be athletes.. Is it a sport to beat someone up back stage or blow up a limo??

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Pro wrestling to me is nothing more than hollywood entertainment.. They are no different than a stunt man.. Do I consider them athletes?? At one time they were.. When wrestling was still a sport.. Today?? It is a made for TV entertainment spectacle.. I mean really?? How many pay for view things do they have??

List of WWE pay-per-view events - Pro Wrestling Wiki - Divas, Knockouts, Results, Match histories, Titles, and more!

So much for a world Series or a Super Bowl which only come once a year..

Todays wrestling is no sport and therefore they are not athletes..
When do you think pro wrestling was an actual competition?

Nov 2010
We know wrestling isn't a sport, since its more of a performance. BUt to say they are not athletes, to me, is a bit absurd. These guys are incredible athletes. Acrobatic, strong, quick. They are far more athletic than golfers, and golf is considered a sport.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Yes, but not at the same level as those in real sports
meh. There are only three real sports: bullfighting, auto racing, and mountain climbing; all the rest are merely games.

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
It was actually Vince McMahon who decided that pro wrestling wasn't a sport. A few years back he realized that states regulated entertainment less than sporting events. That's why he gave up the pretense of the WWE being a competetive sport.

Oct 2010
USA
I never said pro wrestling wasn't dangerous..
Of course you didn't, I never said you did. I'm just making the case that even hall of fame athletes like Karl Malone say they are athletes.

There is are no rules.. The ref's are blind as a bat.. How many times have you seen someone lose due to cheating?? Why aren't those cheater disqualified?? How many times have you seen the so called champion keep his title due to cheating??
Wins and losses don't mean anything so long as it's done right. You can lose and still look strong. It's all in how you are booked. For example, lets say I have a match tonight with Mr.X. Vince McMahon comes up to me and says "Mr. X is entering the title picture after tonight, so I need you to make him look like a contender as well as lose the match". What I would then do is go out and give him the "beat down" of his life, and then he would endure all of that and toss me around for the last 5 mins before winning. Now, by beating him down I make myself look good, as well as playing up his ability to take a beating and still win. I go backstage and get a big applause from my peers, because I have done my job perfectly. And in doing my job well, I have shown that I too can be a title contender, even though I lost. It's all in how you do it.

You don't earn your keep by winning, you earn your keep by doing your job. Vince McMahon is not going to put you in the main event at Wrestlemania unless he knows you will put on the exact show and performance he wants.

MajikMyst

Former Staff
Mar 2010
Seattle Wa.
You don't earn your keep by winning, you earn your keep by doing your job. Vince McMahon is not going to put you in the main event at Wrestlemania unless he knows you will put on the exact show and performance he wants.
Which proves my point.. In sports it is all about winning.. The point of competition is to win.. This is not a sport and therefore they are not athletes.. They are just actors playing a part and their own stunt men..

I guess my point is DL To make the claim that someone else says they are athletes is more or less a moot issue.. Are fire men athletes?? They have to carry them hoses up stairs.. Carry people they may find out of burning building, all while wearing their equipment.. Are our military soldiers athletes?? There are a lot of jobs that require strength and stamina, which is in the definition of athletic.. The missing element is competition.. While I am sure it is a closely guarded secret.. I wouldn't doubt it if the winners of each match were written in a script somewhere.. Let's beat up to good guy who wants his title back, and make him fight the title match injured from being beat on.. Very dramatic wouldn't you say?? The crowed loves it.. And then he wins!! YEAH!! Don't you love scripts??

Sure, they may have athletic ability.. But they are not athletes.. Like you say.. It is all about show and performance.. Not about winning.. People participate in any competition to win.. Not to put on a show or performance.. And that fact alone is what makes them performers and not athletes.. They are no different than a circus performer..

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Which proves my point.. In sports it is all about winning.. The point of competition is to win.. This is not a sport and therefore they are not athletes.. They are just actors playing a part and their own stunt men..
Are the Harlem Globe Trotters or circus performers like trapeze artists athletes?