Do you feel that U.S. Presidents have to much power and dominate the other 2 branches

Nov 2007
I feel Congress has ceded many of its power to the Executive over the years. If you agree, what powers should Congress take back........
and HOW?
They have ceded many of their powers. Especially in regards to things like having input on the deployment of American military forces. The bottom line is that members of Congress are there indefinitely as long as they can get reelected while a president faces two elections and then he's gone no matter what. Thus the attitude by Congress is "why should we ruin our careers taking unpopular stands when we have a president to handle it".

Jul 2011
Tennessee
I feel Congress has ceded many of its power to the Executive over the years. If you agree, what powers should Congress take back........
and HOW?
Ignorance.

The Constitution expressly gives certain powers to each of the three branches of government.

None of those branches have seeded any of their powers to another branch.

Damn ignorance on your part.

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
To a degree Congress brought this on themselves. Our legislature more often than not proves itself to be feckless. The internecine conflict between the two parties allows for too few bills to be passed. Our elected reps seem more focused on SIGs and campaigns. As a result, the President has to take action. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy.

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
Yes and no. As set forth in the Constitution, no. As a practical matter today? Yes. And a lot of that lays at the feet of Congress because, as noted by others before me, Congress critters always have an eye towards the next election.

Oct 2013
USA
The problem is the members the public votes into office. As an example, today's Senate is fully willing to give Trump anything he wants and not hold him accountable. This mess is on voters not the Constitution. Brilliant as the Constitution is it cannot protect voters from themselves. As long as the public feels military "stuff" is more important than their own life and health, they get their own death that they voted for eventually.

Jul 2011
Tennessee
If its anything, it's Congress assuming powers that they were not given to them in the Constitution that are strictly reserved to the states.

Reactions: GoaTlOver

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
If its anything, it's Congress assuming powers that they were not given to them in the Constitution that are strictly reserved to the states.
I’d say that’s the federal government as a whole rather than just Congress. And in any event, it’s not mutually exclusive with the thread premise.

Reactions: pragmatic
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Certainly no one asked me, but ..... Not for nothin....

The problem doesn't seem to be "too much power" the problem seems to be "can't be removed and replaced at a moment's notice".

Politicians are supposed to be brief stewards of the job. Not rightful owners of it.