Do you have a religious alignment? Can you articulate why?

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
I can’t suspend rational thinking and believe in the supernatural.
As my atheist husband once told me, “if there is a god who is a benevolent God, would he deny me admission to heaven because I didn’t believe in him?”
Naturally.

The benefit of faith is faith itself. How then can one enjoy the benefit of faith if you reject that faith.

Apr 2012
East coast USA
This Athiest deems a religious quest or alignment is nothing more than the person grieving or just lost. Neither is a call from above but one needing more than they have.
This is actually a shortcoming, being immature, emotionally immature.
A person whom feels good about one self has no need for an alignment.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
I have faith in real things, not the supernatural.
That depends on your definition of real and supernatural.

So you have faith in Allah?
No.

Ontology is different from religion. Ontology is interested merely in the existence of god. And there are very compelling arguments for it. Religion, on the other hand, is interested in the nature of that god. That is unknowable.

See the difference?

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
This Athiest deems a religious quest or alignment is nothing more than the person grieving or just lost. Neither is a call from above but one needing more than they have.
This is actually a shortcoming, being immature, emotionally immature.
A person whom feels good about one self has no need for an alignment.
A student of ontology deems the atheist as simply lacking the intelligence to grasp this fundamental idea -- hence he rejects what he cannot understand.

Apr 2014
Maryland
That depends on your definition of real and supernatural.

No.

Ontology is different from religion. Ontology is interested merely in the existence of god. And there are very compelling arguments for it. Religion, on the other hand, is interested in the nature of that god. That is unknowable.

See the difference?
An invisible man in the sky controlling you is supernatural

Apr 2014
Maryland
A student of ontology deems the atheist as simply lacking the intelligence to grasp this fundamental idea -- hence he rejects what he cannot understand.
And an atheist doesn’t believe women turn into salt, the Red Sea suddenly parts, a man walks on water etc. if I tell you I am sitting next to a pink elephant and you reject what I am telling you does that mean you lack intelligence? Or that you have commonsense

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
An invisible man in the sky controlling you is supernatural
That is a simplistic and ultimately unacceptable definition.

Dark energy is also an 'invisible' something in the sky (technically everywhere) controlling space-time expansion.

The correct definition of 'supernatural' is something that does not exist or occur in the natural world. God is said to be both immanent and transcendent -- meaning he exists both within and beyond the natural world.

So, by definition, god, or at least his actions relating within the natural world, is not supernatural.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
And an atheist doesn’t believe women turn into salt, the Red Sea suddenly parts, a man walks on water etc.
I don't believe that too. The difference between me and the atheist is that it is perfectly ok for me to understand this biblical narrative as an allegory (which is what parts of scripture is understood to be) while the atheist can only conclude that the biblical writer is either lying or delusional.

if I tell you I am sitting next to a pink elephant and you reject what I am telling you does that mean you lack intelligence? Or that you have commonsense
Why would I automatically reject something like that, hmmm? I'm not burdened by an atheists' folly.

First, I would try to understand, what exactly do you mean with that. If I cannot find any reason or meaning for it, I could simply assume that you are sitting next to a stuffed elephant toy colored pink, or that worst, you actually painted an elephant pink and is bragging about it. Absent any evidence against ALL possibilities, I cannot claim you are a liar. Forum rules, you see.

Apr 2014
Maryland
I don't believe that too. The difference between me and the atheist is that it is perfectly ok for me to understand this biblical narrative as an allegory (which is what parts of scripture is understood to be) while the atheist can only conclude that the biblical writer is either lying or delusional.

Why would I automatically reject something like that, hmmm? I'm not burdened by an atheists' folly.

First, I would try to understand, what exactly do you mean with that. If I cannot find any reason or meaning for it, I could simply assume that you are sitting next to a stuffed elephant toy colored pink, or that worst, you actually painted an elephant pink and is bragging about it. Absent any evidence against ALL possibilities, I cannot claim you are a liar. Forum rules, you see.
I love the way people like you pick and choose what is an allegory and what is not. But I bet you believe that there is an invisible man in the sky or is that an allegory also? There are millions and millions of Christians who believe that what you call allegories because they are so ridiculous, are in fact true.Tell me what the pillar of salt allegory is? That if a woman disobeys her husbands she will be punished?
I am not sitting next to a stuffed animal I am sitting next to a real live elephant. How can you call me a liar? I think the people who tell me these impossible things believe lies much bigger