Do you have a religious alignment? Can you articulate why?

Apr 2014
Maryland
That is a simplistic and ultimately unacceptable definition.

Dark energy is also an 'invisible' something in the sky (technically everywhere) controlling space-time expansion.

The correct definition of 'supernatural' is something that does not exist or occur in the natural world. God is said to be both immanent and transcendent -- meaning he exists both within and beyond the natural world.

So, by definition, god, or at least his actions relating within the natural world, is not supernatural.
The supernatural is something that does not exist or occur in the natural world I agree. But people like you say that God is both immenent and transcendent...just the way the ancient Greeks though Zeus was. I am sure you don’t question their truth

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
I love the way people like you pick and choose what is an allegory and what is not.
Sorry but I'm not the one doing that. Exegetes do that.

As for myself, I do not read the bible for its factual or historical content. I'm not that stupid.

But I bet you believe that there is an invisible man in the sky or is that an allegory also? There are millions and millions of Christians who believe that what you call allegories because they are so ridiculous, are in fact true.Tell me what the pillar of salt allegory is? That if a woman disobeys her husbands she will be punished?
I am not sitting next to a stuffed animal I am sitting next to a real live elephant. How can you call me a liar? I think the people who tell me these impossible things believe lies much bigger
I'm sorry but before reading the bible, you should read its preface. It contains instructions and explanatory notes on how one should understand the text therein. If you went on reading the bible without the benefit of these cautionary instructions, can you really blame the bible for the ignorant conclusions you arrive at?

duh?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I'm sorry but before reading the bible, you should read its preface. It contains instructions and explanatory notes on how one should understand the text therein. If you went on reading the bible without the benefit of these cautionary instructions, can you really blame the bible for the ignorant conclusions you arrive at?

duh?
Mr. Duh:

Whose instructions, explanatory notes and cautionary instructions are you referring to? And in which language?

Apr 2014
Maryland
Sorry but I'm not the one doing that. Exegetes do that.

As for myself, I do not read the bible for its factual or historical content. I'm not that stupid.

duh?
Who tells you that? I really wouldn’t talk about ignorant conclusions.....does it tell you that the earth was created in a week?or is that another allegory?

Dec 2006
required field
Interesting. This is the first time I've ever heard even a suggestion of anyone other than an Orthodox male wearing tefillin. The article goes on to talk about some of the history of women wearing tefillin, and their thoughts and experiences.

You can learn how to do pretty much anything on YouTube. There are tutorials for decorative fruit carving, moonwalking, building a turbo jet engine,preparing for the apocalypse and, of course, how to wrap tefillin.

But when Rachel Putterman went to YouTube for instructions on how to don the ritual leather straps worn by observant Jews during weekday morning prayers, she had a hard time learning from the videos she found. Poor lighting, bad angles — and only one gender.

“I saw all these videos of Orthodox men in their basements,” Putterman said.

Putterman decided to change that with a crowdfunded project whose mission was to encourage all Jews to take on the Jewish rituals that have traditionally seemed to be the province of straight men. “All Genders Wrap,” a series of well-lit, professionally-directed tutorials, features instructors who are male, female, trans and non-binary, as well as Jews of color. The videos went up earlier this month, and have already garnered 3,500 views.

Tefillin are a two-piece set of leather straps attached to leather boxes. Inside the boxes are important Hebrew prayers calligraphed on tiny animal-hide scrolls. One box sits at the bicep, and is held in place by leather straps that encircle the arm down to the hand. The hand is then wrapped in an intricate manner meant to spell out a name of God. The other box sits at the forehead, held in place by straps that wrap around the head and are knotted together at the top of the neck.

The boxes are based on a line from the biblical Shema prayer, which instructs Jews to “bind” the prayer on their arms and place it between their eyes. Archaeologists have discovered tefillin dating to as early as the third century BCE. Wrapping tefillin daily (though not on the Sabbath) is considered a mitzvah, or obligation, that Jews are required to observe. Whether or not women are obligated — or even forbidden — from laying tefillin has been a debate among rabbis for centuries.
If you want to skip the history lesson in the middle of the article and get right to the conclusion, here it is:

Putterman realizes that her videos occupy a narrow space in Jewish observance: Jews who are liberal enough to accept that women can take on obligations traditionally reserved for men, but religious enough that they still feel obligated at all.

“It’s this small niche of people who are observant or somewhat observant, and who are committed to wearing tefillin, who are not Orthodox,” she said.

Putterman says that the size of the audience is not important: The videos are meant to help Jews of all backgrounds feel “seen.”

“I’ve gotten emails from people who say they are just crying, who find it so powerful,” Putterman said.

There’s also a practical purpose, as well: Some people live in parts of the country where there might not be people either willing or knowledgeable to teach tefillin wrapping to a non-binary person. Putterman says she was contacted by a person in Tennessee thanking her for creating the project, because there was no one around to learn from.

“It’s for that person who lives somewhere where they have no role model, nobody who looks like them,” she said.
Laying Tefillin Isn’t Just For Straight Men Anymore

Jun 2014
United States
I don't know about the 'vast majority', but yes, I inherited my parents' religion and I choose to honor them.

You're doing a lousy job of it. If your haughty attitude represents Christianity, then it's easy to understand why the religion becomes less popular with each passing day.

Jan 2007
Irrelevant
Who tells you that?
Tells me what?

I really wouldn’t talk about ignorant conclusions.....does it tell you that the earth was created in a week?or is that another allegory?
I'm sorry but what is the point in such an exercise, hmmm?

As far as my faith is concerned, I contemplate biblical passages that give me some insight on spiritual and ethical truths. These truths remain regardless of these passages' factual or historical content.

Whether these passages are historical facts or not is a question for historians to answer.