Do you have respect for Lisa Murkowski today or not?

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I don't care what the party wanted. That's the point. Nobody votes their conscience in gov't anymore. Regardless of what the party wanted him to do, it was the wrong thing to do. Somebody has got to start being an individual. No, I don't think he sold the party out, I think he sold himself out. This tribalism is so deep and so pervasive and now without the McCain example, it'll only fester. As far as the Daines/Murkowski thing, again, it's party over individualism. If Daines was a yes he should have made it his (and our) business to be there to vote. Same with Murkowski. If she was a no she should have voted that way. These assholes aren't being paid to go to weddings and they're not elected to neglect their duty.
If people applied logic instead of bias, the vote would have been at or nearly unanimous in his favour.

Look at the timeline.

Feinstein gets the letter in July, then in the final days possible the letter that Ford wanted secret was leaked (Feinstein accused Ford), that forced the issue into a media circus that was to delay the vote until after the election in the hopes of delaying until trump is out of office.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
If people applied logic instead of bias, the vote would have been at or nearly unanimous in his favour.

Look at the timeline.

Feinstein gets the letter in July, then in the final days possible the letter that Ford wanted secret was leaked (Feinstein accused Ford), that forced the issue into a media circus that was to delay the vote until after the election in the hopes of delaying until trump is out of office.
I will let Mrs. Pelosi explain the tactic :

Sep 2006
Englewood, Fl

Look at the timeline.

Yeah, sure. I'm shocked that you would think that! LOL

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
From the link:

"I think she will never recover from this. I think the people from Alaska will never forgive her for what she did," Trump said, predicting that Murkowski would have a tough primary race in 2022, when she is up for reelection.

This is the fear of many incumbents in the GOP.
Thats just it. We really dont know the full "Trump effect" yet. I do think in places like ND it could be severe. Alaska, I dont know. Trump has endorsed the GOP running for gov and he is pretty far ahead so far. We will see. I imagine geography comes into play a ton.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
I don't care what the party wanted. That's the point. Nobody votes their conscience in gov't anymore. Regardless of what the party wanted him to do, it was the wrong thing to do. Somebody has got to start being an individual. No, I don't think he sold the party out, I think he sold himself out. This tribalism is so deep and so pervasive and now without the McCain example, it'll only fester. As far as the Daines/Murkowski thing, again, it's party over individualism. If Daines was a yes he should have made it his (and our) business to be there to vote. Same with Murkowski. If she was a no she should have voted that way. These assholes aren't being paid to go to weddings and they're not elected to neglect their duty.
Senator Daines was willing to come and vote, even though it meant missing his daughter's wedding. An airplane was on standby to take him. Pairing is not uncommon. It was often done across party lines, especially if a senator was ill, had a family obligation, or could not be in DC for some other reason. The vote was on a Saturday that was not planned to be in session. Things happen. At least you now understand what pairing is and why it is done.

As for Senator Joe Manchin, he would not have voted yes if his vote was the determining vote. It was strictly a political vote to protect himself, and the Democrat party. Losing the WV senate seat would hurt the Democrat party for six years. Politics has a lot of moving parts. It's not always cut and dried. There are times that a senator has be willing to vote in favor of something that he or she disagrees with, to get something important in return. Often this is support on another vote but in this case, it was to not put the Manchin seat at further risk in WV.

Southern Dad

Former Staff
Feb 2015
Shady Dale, Georgia
From the link:

"I think she will never recover from this. I think the people from Alaska will never forgive her for what she did," Trump said, predicting that Murkowski would have a tough primary race in 2022, when she is up for reelection.

This is the fear of many incumbents in the GOP.
I disagree with President Trump. I think that by 2022, Kavanaugh's seat will be far down the list of important things to Alaska voters, if it is even on the radar, at all.

Jets

Former Staff
Feb 2011
New York
I disagree with President Trump. I think that by 2022, Kavanaugh's seat will be far down the list of important things to Alaska voters, if it is even on the radar, at all.
True. The electorate has proven it tends to suffer from short term memory.