Do you still believe that U.S. Presidents are not above the law and that the 3 branches are equal?

Do you still believe that U.S Presidents are not above the law and the 3 branches if gov are equal?

• No the president is not above the law and the three branches remain equal in power.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Yes, the above but I sure am wondering with this one.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Yes, the've always had a different standard vs. the rest of us and precedence shows that.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • We are in new territory; a possible constitutional crisis.

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
May 2013
N Oregon Coast
I'd LIKE to totally agree with this, because I MOSTLY do, but yet I cannot. There are scenarios where we need someone who can make quick decisions, where it simply CANNOT go to Congress for some long, drawn-out, deliberative process.

Example: Pirates seize American citizens on the high seas, intending to hold them for ransom, and threaten to kill them, one at a time, every hour on the hour, unless their demands are met. U.S. Navy ships are nearby. Wouldn't you want the President to order the Navy to rescue our citizens? You want to send the matter to Congress, for them to debate the situation for several days, or perhaps weeks?

Example: We have a chance to take out a terrorist like Anwar al-Awlaki, the leader of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, who was widely considered the most dangerous terrorist in the world, and who had inspired literally dozens of terrorist attacks with his charismatic jihadist sermons on the Internet (and still does!), because we get information telling us exactly where he will be, for the next HALF-HOUR. This was a real world situation, by the way, and President Obama did act, and to this day, many Americans criticize him for doing so.

Sigh. We live in a complicated world.
Your examples are spur of the moment limited situations. GOTTA allow the POTUS to make that call on those. I'm talking about things like committing thousands of troops to a country with no end game laid out or congressional approval.

And how about Yemen? Why should Trump be able to usurp the bipartisan call by congress to end involvement with the Saudis and their bloodbath with millions of innocent people dead. We are complicit. Sucking up to MBS again due to probable current or future personal financial interests. Pure BS.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Your examples are spur of the moment limited situations. GOTTA allow the POTUS to make that call on those. I'm talking about things like committing thousands of troops to a country with no end game laid out or congressional approval.

And how about Yemen? Why should Trump be able to usurp the bipartisan call by congress to end involvement with the Saudis and their bloodbath with millions of innocent people dead. We are complicit. Sucking up to MBS again due to probable current or future personal financial interests. Pure BS.
Yeah. We agree on all that. Yemen is turning into another hellhole on Earth. And MBS is a psycho. We need to figure out just what's behind all this nefarious Kushner/Trump/Mohammed bin Salman/Saud Dynasty relationship. Must be a powerful reason why that country was the FIRST foreign country that Trump visited.

Jan 2019
Tempe, AZ
Our Constitution has NOT been tampered with (yet) regarding the three equal branches of which provides check and balances. Hopefully it never will happen, It would be the END of America as we know it. :eek:

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Yeah. We agree on all that. Yemen is turning into another hellhole on Earth. And MBS is a psycho. We need to figure out just what's behind all this nefarious Kushner/Trump/Mohammed bin Salman/Saud Dynasty relationship. Must be a powerful reason why that country was the FIRST foreign country that Trump visited.
Yeah, that was downright WEIRD. Wasn't it also the first country Little Jared visited?

*Guess we'll have to check with WhatsApp on that

The Wooing of Jared Kushner: How the Saudis Got a Friend in the White House

Note: Tillerson has a better sense of rhythm :D

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Are we pretending there's something unusual or atypical about a president having a friendly relationship with saudi dictators? I doubt you could get elected without one.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Are we pretending there's something unusual or atypical about a president having a friendly relationship with saudi dictators? I doubt you could get elected without one.
Are you pretending that there's not something decidedly weird and unexplainable and yes, both unusual and atypical, about this administration's unwillingness to forthrightly blame MBS for the outrageous MURDER of Jamal Khashoggi? That goes WELL beyond 'friendly', to being obsequious and toady and frankly un-American. Our intelligence agencies know that it was Mohammed bin Salman who ORDERED the death of that journalist.

As we know, this is an administration that doesn't give a flying fuck about the safety of journalists, and views the free press as 'the Enemy of the People'.

And yes, that IS both unusual and atypical for ANY American President. We have NEVER had a more abnormal and aberrant President, and you still seem to be in denial of that.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Are you pretending that there's not something decidedly weird and unexplainable and yes, both unusual and atypical, about this administration's unwillingness to forthrightly blame MBS for the outrageous MURDER of Jamal Khashoggi? That goes WELL beyond 'friendly', to being obsequious and toady and frankly un-American. Our intelligence agencies know that it was Mohammed bin Salman who ORDERED the death of that journalist.

As we know, this is an administration that doesn't give a flying fuck about the safety of journalists, and views the free press as 'the Enemy of the People'.

And yes, that IS both unusual and atypical for ANY American President. We have NEVER had a more abnormal and aberrant President, and you still seem to be in denial of that.
i don't get it. saudi arabia has been an "ally" for decades. yes, there's nothing unusual about trump's being an ally of theirs too.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
as i love to point out, the whole chapter about saudi arabia was redacted from the 9/11 commission report. there's plenty of reason to think saudi arabia had something to do with 9/11, not least because 15 of the 19 hijackers were saudi.

but, you know, trump! so it's different now. i mean it's great that you suddenly find the US government's friendly relationship with an apparent hostile power to be objectionable, it's just that it would be nice if you also found it objectionable under democratic administrations.

Jan 2016
Colorado
i don't get it. saudi arabia has been an "ally" for decades. yes, there's nothing unusual about trump's being an ally of theirs too.
Saudi Arabia in the past has not had a psychotic leader like Mohammed bin Salman. Is there something you don't 'get' about that?

Even Lindsey Graham was saying right after the Khashoggi murder that we would just NOT be able to work with MBS. Though he seems to have said little in the past month or two on the matter.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
Where'm I At, Doe?
Saudi Arabia in the past has not had a psychotic leader like Mohammed bin Salman. Is there something you don't 'get' about that?

Even Lindsey Graham was saying right after the Khashoggi murder that we would just NOT be able to work with MBS. Though he seems to have said little in the past month or two on the matter.
you think we're going to break off an alliance with saudi arabia over a single shitty leader when we redacted a whole chapter about them from the 9/11 report?

you only care because a republican is president. when a democrat becomes president, you'll stop.